Move entire Visual Studio Solution to new server

• I am pretty new to all this so please bear with me ... I have created on a vm (with SQL '08), a solution in Visual Studio that has both my SSIS package that loads my data into my database, and a SSAS package that contains my cubes. We have recently purchased a new server, along with SQL '08 and I want to move my packages (the entire solution) from my vm to our new production server. I did a backup and restore to move my databases, but I'm a bit confused on how to move my SSIS and SSAS packages so I don't have to rewrite them.

Thanks in advance!

Shairal

• How are you running your SSIS packages?

have you deployed them to the files-system or database?

• Thanks for your reply!

I have deployed them on my vm; they show up in Management Studio under my Integration Server connection - under File System. When I run the SSIS pkg, I do it directly through Visual Studio.

• Simply copy and move your solutions to the new environment and redeploy. If you are running the packages through Visual Studio (or BIDS) it sounds like you are not even running the deployed package, but are just running it within BIDS.

Not sure what you mean by SSAS package. Did you create an SSAS database solution. Just change the data source reference and the database project properties and deploy to new environment.

Shouldn't be a big deal. Just verify your connection manager settings in the SSIS package and modify them accordingly.

By the way, SP1 was recently released for SQL Server 2008.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dan English - http://denglishbi.wordpress.com

• If you have not written them to be location/target agnostic driving off the configuration files (and you probably would not be asking if you had), then for the most part all you should have to do is to open it up in BIDS in the new environment, ignore the zillions of errors and re-point the connection managers to the new servers/locations. Then recompile/build. This should fix it.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply