Move 2008 R2 Files to 2008 instance?

• Hi Everyone,

We have an application which originally wrote to a SQL Server 2008 database. Just recently we moved it to 2008 R2 by taking a backup on 2008 and restoring it into 2008 R2 instance. The application has been performing badly since and we'd like to move it back. I know I can't take an R2 backup and restore it into 2008 since the backup would be a newer version but can I detach the data/log files, move them back to the 2008 server and then attach them back to the 2008 instance?

• No. The files have been upgraded (just like the backup).

If it is performing badly, I'd look at finding what may have been missed in the migration, find what specifically is performing badly and tune those things specifically.

To get back to 2008, you can do a replication type of scenario to move the data back.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hope You can use generate script wizard and script whole database objects,data and select the older version(SQL 2008) and create a new database on SQL 2008.(this is the only way to perfrom to degrade the database from higher to lower version)

• I would not suggest going back to SQL 2008 by generating scripts etc. I would rather figure out what is wrong with the current SQL 2008 R2 instance as SQLRNNR said.

If you give us more info what is performing vey bad, may be we will be able to help.

What was the hardware in 2008? Have you virtualized your environment into 2008 R2. Have the stats been updated since you moved to new environment?

Any network/storage related change?

• I have also faced such type issue, and i have performed this issue by ,generate Scripts of all objects of that database and run that script on lower version ,after that transfer only data from higher version to lower version..keep in mind when you performing this option ..disable relationship between of tables .. if relation ship exists in the lower version of DB , then it may be you are not able to transfer data perfectly.. after completeing this just enable the relationships..

• has an update stats been run since the upgrade?

run updateusage as well.

edit - didn't see neeraj has said the same thing - so I second that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply