More Access to MSDE questions

• I can't think of one.

I've not personally used VB express, but I'm currently developing against SQL Express (using VS2005 beta 2) and it's great.

But, once again, if you are used to Access, you will have some learning to do moving to VB.Net/ADO.Net; again IMHO it would likely be worth it, in the longer term.  At least the Express stuff means you can have a go at it without outlaying any money - you will still have to outlay some time though.  HTH

pg

• Hi Jenni,

This is my opinion....If cost is a big factor I would forget about a web application in the near future, my experience is that web apps (Microsoft ones anyway) are way more expensive to build and maintain than Access apps. You currently have the least expensive architecture, Access and Jet(free) and they work great together. By the way, what version of Access? But if you want more scalability and reliability you need more robust tools. In an ideal world, money would not be a factor and you can get everything you need to build a great web app. In the real world where money is a factor and this is my suggestion..............Use Access (hopefully it is Access 2000 or later) as your front-end and SQL Server as your database. Using Access as your front-end means you don't have to buy or learn VB.Net/CSharp.Net. The only new software you need to buy, learn, and support is SQL Server. I think this is your next least expensive solution. The books I used for a similar project are "Mastering Microsoft Access 2000 Development" by Alison Balter, and "Access 2000 Developer's Handbook Volumes 1 and 2" by Paul Litwin. Follow as many suggestions as possible from these books. In my Access/SQL Server app I used both DAO and ADO! Here is my reason... DAO works best with JET and ADO works best with SQL Server. In my app I use DAO for static lookup tables and working tables on the client pc and ADO for the rest. I would not use DAO against SQL Server, use unbound forms and stored procedures………..Read the books and it will make sense. Again this is just my opinion, I have never had a lot of luck with the free software and express editions, the cost in my time exceeded the cost of buying the product. Good luck.

Mike

• Hi Jenni. 

For what it's worth, I went through this same situation two years ago with converting an Access system.  We looked at both MSDE and SQL Server.  Due to the concurrent connections issue mentioned in an earlier post, we chose SQL Server.  We used Access Projects (.adp) for the front-end to keep our existing forms and reports, but using SQL Server views and stored procedures.  Everything has worked great.  We are currently working on a web-based version of the system now using ASP.Net 2.0 and the free Visual Web Developer.  In addition to the books mentioned by Michael, I would also recommend "Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server" by Mary Chipman and Andy Baron.  This book saved me numerous times during the conversion and after.  

John

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply