monitoring sql servers

• forsqlserver (4/5/2011)

Is there any free tool but good also?:hehe:

Yes there is a codeplex project. Check the list from the links I posted.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanx

Thanks

• If you are using SQL Agent you can check out this product, SQL Agent Insight, at http://sai.brentec.ca. It is currently free and monitors over 40 metrics of your SQL Agent configuration with e-mail alerting.

Regards.

• SQL Stripes does a great job monitoring your SQL Servers, with minimum setup.

It's not free, but not expensive either. There's a free trial on the website, give it a try.

www.sqlstripes.com

• Do you use LogicMonitor to monitor SQL Server?

Do you monitor lock timeouts and does it often go above the default threshold of 1? I am asking because we often see this count a couple hundred above that but don't see any performance issues on the SQL end. Even more confusing is that SQL is set to it's default lock timeout which is no time out. Do you have any experience with this, why it is generated lock metrics when SQL is set to wait indefinitely? Can the apps send lock timeouts to sql maybe? Thank you for any feedback. The LM site has not helped me with this particular metric.

• lmacdonald (12/5/2014)

Do you use LogicMonitor to monitor SQL Server?

Do you monitor lock timeouts and does it often go above the default threshold of 1? I am asking because we often see this count a couple hundred above that but don't see any performance issues on the SQL end. Even more confusing is that SQL is set to it's default lock timeout which is no time out. Do you have any experience with this, why it is generated lock metrics when SQL is set to wait indefinitely? Can the apps send lock timeouts to sql maybe? Thank you for any feedback. The LM site has not helped me with this particular metric.

I would suggest starting your own thread on this. The only people who are likely to see this are the ones who already posted on this three year old thread. You'll get a lot more response by posting a new question.

Applications can timeout completely independently of SQL Server. So while the lock would wait forever, the application doesn't. I see that all the time.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply