model database stuck in restore state

• brown-415622 (7/28/2011)

I ran both scripts and both completed successfully. It brought back the model database back online and was able to see

views and tables after about 5 min it went back into restore mode. Im backing up the transaction log every 5min in the maintenance plan, you think that

could be causing it?

Has to be that. Check the command that is run on the server and look for NORECOVERY. This is what you need to remove. Again for Genesis as well.

• In the backup GUI it's called tail backup... not sure about maintenance plans.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/28/2011)

brown-415622 (7/28/2011)

I ran both scripts and both completed successfully. It brought back the model database back online and was able to see

views and tables after about 5 min it went back into restore mode. Im backing up the transaction log every 5min in the maintenance plan, you think that

could be causing it?

Has to be that. Check the command that is run on the server and look for NORECOVERY. This is what you need to remove. Again for Genesis as well.

I would also remove the model, master, and msdb databases from that maint plan.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/28/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/28/2011)

brown-415622 (7/28/2011)

could be causing it?

Actually I wouldn't use MP at all. But if you choose to keep using them keep doing at least full backups of those 3 dbs. That way you could stop the log backups on those. You need them in to rebuild your server in case of a disaster.

If you want the cadillac of MPs, set this up :

http://ola.hallengren.com/

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/28/2011)

SQLRNNR (7/28/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/28/2011)

brown-415622 (7/28/2011)

could be causing it?

Actually I wouldn't use MP at all. But if you choose to keep using them keep doing at least full backups of those 3 dbs. That way you could stop the log backups on those. You need them in to rebuild your server in case of a disaster.

If you want the cadillac of MPs, set this up :

http://ola.hallengren.com/

If using maint plan, I would create a completely separate plan for system databases and keep it separate from the user dbs

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• That's what I meant... I guess it wasn't clear.

• I made the change to to the MP and it has been working for longer than 5min. Thanks for the advice and help guys.

• brown-415622 (7/28/2011)

I made the change to to the MP and it has been working for longer than 5min. Thanks for the advice and help guys.

Happy to help.

• Brown,

I'm glad you solved the problem, but at the same time I find it very dangerous that other people are able to restart your SQL Server.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply