mmc crashes when trying to define columns under the destination tab

• I have a DTS package to export the results from a view to a text file. When myself and one of the other users right click on the Transform data task properties and select the destination tab we can see the columns already defined there. We can also safely click on the Define columns button to go to the next screen.

The problem is that when one of the other users is trying to do the same thing, first she can't see the columns defined under the destination tab and then when she click the button to define the columns mmc crashes with the following entry in the event log.

Application popup: mmc.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x78010494" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated. She is a sa on the server and the SQLServer is 2000 standard edition with sp3 applied and the client machine has sql sp3a aplied to it.

• Could it be something to do with the text file, does she have access to the file / directory and is she running from another machine (I'm thinking UNC pathnames here), i.e. is c:\myfile the same to you as it is to her?

• Yes she has same sort of access to these resources. I have just created a similar package on her machine using the wizard and executed it successfully.

After that when I tried to check the transform properties and clicked the define columns button mmc again crashed.

• This is a bug in SP3. See Knowledge Base Article 814113

• Thanks a lot stewart. This worked

• I'm exeriencing the same problem. How did you get the hotfix? It looks like MS doesn't post it. You have to contact them. Did you have to do the same?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply