Mirroring, SQL native client and SP levels

• Hi, I have an issue where a vendor is advising against using SQL native client (deadlock issues etc occur) but I am stuck with it to an extent as we use mirroring for failover purposes. The server is SP3 build 7600. At some point in the future we will go to SP4, but until then I have a few questions:

1) If the server stays at the current SP, is it OK to update the native client drivers on the client machines to the latest version? Will that actually make any difference while the server remains at its current level?

2) Is there any ODBC datasource available other than native client which will utilise mirroring?

• I'd want more information from the vendor on why the advise against the SQL Native client.

• hmmm, me too :rolleyes: they are just advising against it. i have experienced odd results within the application in question, where SQL native complains about a missing stored procedure and RWDBStoredProc but standard SQL ODBC is fine. The problems I am looking at are very specifically deadlocks - seemingly eminating from the same SPID. The vendor has not come up with an explanation as to why that is, but I should maybe follow the advice the initially gave about native client.

• Sounds more like an issue with their application than a problem with the sql native client to me. However, you might be better off following their recommendation for their application.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply