Mirroring, Replication or SSIS package

• Im wanting to build a staging server for the ETL work to be carried out on my databases before extracting into my Datawarehouse.

Whats the best way to get a nightly copy my source database onto my staging server.

I don't need everything in the source databases, a lot of the tables are redundant so I would like the option of only pulling across the tables I need.

Mirroring looks like I need to mirror the full database, replication seems a bit of a sledge hammer for what I need, and ETL process has a bit of work but this may be the best.

I may be wrong on these any you guys recommend whats the best tool.

Thanks

• ps_vbdev (1/31/2014)

Whats the best way to get a nightly copy my source database onto my staging server.

My personal preference is to restore the production copy's backup. This gives you insurance on the backups and gets your data where it needs to be. Win/win. Next up would depend on load. Mirror/snapshot or replication is usually a solid choice here. If you don't want that load on your primary systems you go to an overnight snapshot load via SSIS.

I don't need everything in the source databases, a lot of the tables are redundant so I would like the option of only pulling across the tables I need.

Now you're down to Replication or SSIS loads.

Mirroring looks like I need to mirror the full database, replication seems a bit of a sledge hammer for what I need, and ETL process has a bit of work but this may be the best.

Sounds about right.

I may be wrong on these any you guys recommend whats the best tool.

This is a judgement call. You've researched the proper methods and seen the basic pros and cons of them. Now you have to decide where you want your pain.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply