Mirroring in High Safety Mode (?)

• I know this an old thread but I'm going to exactly what has been described here.

My question is though if I have logs backing up ever 20-30 mins or so on the principal do I have to stop this?

To allow the current log to ship over when I resume mirroring?

Thanks

B

• bugg (1/26/2014)

My question is though if I have logs backing up ever 20-30 mins or so on the principal do I have to stop this?

To allow the current log to ship over when I resume mirroring?

Thanks

B

You never stop the log backups they are your recovery medium.

Database mirroring does not ship logs the transactions are sent real time over the network.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks Perry.

Last question , the mirroring is set up in Safe Mode with no witness so if I pause mirroring will the principal still be able have read and WRITE operations performed on it?

Or does the Mirror have to be up as well to write to the principal?

B

• bugg (1/27/2014)

Thanks Perry.

Last question , the mirroring is set up in Safe Mode with no witness so if I pause mirroring will the principal still be able have read and WRITE operations performed on it?

B

Please read the article i linked further up. A DISCONNECTED state is the same as PAUSED, the transactions will build up in the Principal t-log, only once mirroring is resumed and the databases are synchronised may the t-log records be removed from the Principal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (1/27/2014)

bugg (1/27/2014)

Thanks Perry.

B

Please read the article i linked further up. A DISCONNECTED state is the same as PAUSED, the transactions will build up in the Principal t-log, only once mirroring is resumed and the databases are synchronised may the t-log records be removed from the Principal

Thanks Perry!

I actually posted my comments on the wrong thread was supposed be this one http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1270176-391-1.aspx

It mentions this

The process I have followed when doing such a move is:

(1) Switch to High - Performance (if not already)

(2) Suspend Mirroring

(3) Shut down and move the Mirror

(3) Resume Mirrororing

(4) Wait until Mirroring is synchronized and switch back to High Safety (if needed)

One cant just switch to High Performance this is setup when mirroring is first configured? I'm assuming its fine to leave this step out.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply