Mirroring - 2 Instances same Server

• Hi,

I have a server with an Instance of SQL 2005 and an Instance of SQL 2008

Have Mirroring working on the SQL 2005 Instance.

When creating Mirroring on the SQL 2008 Instance I get as far as "Start Mirroring", the screen closes, no error is shown and Mirroring does not commence. SQL 2008 is trying to use the same Listening Port as SQL 2005

My reading has advised me that SQL 2008 will need a different Port to listen on, but another article tells me that a SERVER can only listen on one Port for Mirroring. Clearly these 2 views cannot be compatible.

If I can clarify this point at least that is one reason that I can discount or use to resolve the issue. Before researching other possibilities.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Colin

• Hi Colin,

I've seen this problem before and I'm pretty sure SQL 2008 will need to use a different Listening Port no. because of the existing 2005 mirror.

Cheers

• This is what I thought. However, the Listening Port box is greyed out and I cannot select a different Port.

Any thoughts on how to overcome this?

• I don't think you can change them in SSMS.. try deleting the current endpoints and re-creating them using the CREATE ENDPOINT command, specifying the port no. you want to use.

• Thanks, have been doing some research on this, following your guidance.

It seems that the Mirror Endpoint on both SQL Instances are using the same port number, which is not good. Shame that I could not find a script to check the system tables to confirm this.

So, it looks like I need to get rid of the Mirror Endpoing on SQL 2008 by using

DROP ENDPOINT Mirroring

and then create a new mirror Endpoint, with a different Port number using

CREATE ENDPOINT Mirroring

STATE=STARTED

AS TCP (LISTENER_PORT=5023)

FOR DATABASE_MIRRORING (ROLE=PARTNER)

Sounds very simple. However, I am unsure of what other issues this may cause, as Endpoints seem very important to SQL. So, will set up a test server and see what happens.

• Thanks

• Sounds like a plan. Let me know how you get on!

• Apologies for delay in posting final solution.

In the end I simply changed the Port number by running the following code. seems to have worked well.

ALTER ENDPOINT Mirroring

AS TCP (Listener_Port = 5023)

• You raised another issue of ports.On two separate physical servers you need to specify the same port number.On the same server you different port numbers.This is what i have once done and it worked.

What are the implications of:

1.using the same port on the same server different instances.

2.using different port numbers on the physically separate principal and mirror.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply