Migration from SQL server 2000 to Oracle 10g

• Hi,

Currently my application is working with SQL server 2000 database and now we are planning to migrate the data from SQL server 2000 to oracle 10g.

Can any one please assist me that which tool (SwisSQL , oracle work bench.. ) is best to migrate the data from the SQL server 2000 to oracle 10g.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Nivedita.

• You can many tools to migrate data from SQL Server to Oracle or other data platforms and vice versa. Since it is 2000, you could use DTS. if you have SQL Server 2005 or 2008 running somewhere, I would recommend using SSIS.

It is a little more complicated to migrate other database objects such as Views, Stored Procedures, Functions. I have read somewhere that SwissSQL allows you to do that but I have no experience with this product.

This question may be better asked on an Oracle forum, but you may want to check this link on the Oracle site for more info.

• Thanks for the assistance, I will check the "Oracle SQL Developer Migration" .

• I used the SQL Developer Migration tool and it does pretty well.

Migrating table definitions and data was certainly OK.

It certainly attempts to migrate Stored procedures, functions etc and does use some intelligence when facilities are not directly compatible. It aso supplies a sql_server_utilities package which has code to handle some SQL Server functions which are not available in ORACLE.

But you will have to go through each one and check it out. In many cases, the migrated code compiles with errors.

I had a particular difficulty with TABLE variables. It replaced them with Global Temporary Tables whose scope is quite different.

It also misunderstood some of my triggers.

But it was certainly better than nothing.

Martin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply