Migration from sql server 2000 and 2005

• Different types of migration and steps to perform migration? can i do it on my laptop?

I am a new to sql server so it'll be really gud if i can do it on my laptop....

I have two sql server instances one is 2000 and another is 2005...

Thanks

Babloo

• You can have 2 different instances - but not 2008 I think.

• Hi,

Before doing migration, you need to install upgrade advisory tool which shows you the issues comes with migration. This will help you to modify the things before only.

first migrate the databases using detach/attach method to the 2005 instance. then for migrating the logins, you have a sql script called sp_change_revlogin of different versions (like 2000-2000, 2000-2005..)

get that script from net and execute it on the 2000 instance, you will get an out put.

Now copy this output and execute in the 2005 instance, all the logins will be migrated.

then for all the other objects, just generte the scripts at the 2000 instance and ecexute in 2005.

for DTS packages, you need to do with import export method.

• hello,

There are two migration strategies:

In-place Upgrade: where the SQL Server 2005 installation overwrites the old instance of SQL Server.

Side-by-side Upgrade: the migration takes place in the different SQL Server instances.

Visit the following link and download SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide. this article provides you with guidance to the migration process.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply