migration from 2000 to 2008 with database mail

• Hello All,

I am doing the migration from database from sql server 2000 to sql server 2008 on the same server. sql 2000 version is in default instance and sql 2008 is in named instance. sql 2000 version is using sql mail to generate emails and we created the another email account for sql 2008 instance.

I didnt migrated all the databases from 2000 to 2008, before wo do the whole migration we would like to test the working of linked server conncetion to oracle database and database mail, as these are the main parts for that production server (we choose that server because we dont have any other server to install & migrate to 2008 version)

My question is can I use 2 email accounts one for sql mail (sql 2000) and 2nd for database mail(sql 2008) on the same server and what about the operator, can I use the same operator in sql 2008 too. If so what are the steps that I need to follow for that. Please suggest any links or any document

Thank u all

• I am sorry I forgort to add one point, we are using exchange server for sending the emails. we created the new email account for sql 2008 in the exchange server.

Thanks to all

• Unless I am misunderstanding something I believe the answer is yes you can configure SQLMail on your existing SQL 2000 database instance and then configure Database Mail on your SQL 2008 instance. Using two different accounts is a good way to avoid confusion about which instance sent the email.

I don't understand the operator question. Each instance can have all the operators you need, they aren't "the same" but they could have the same name and email address etc.

Cheers,

Glen

• Thanks Glen for the reply,

After I configure the database mail Under management in SSMS, whatelse I need to do in order to do the database mail complect and how can I test the mail??

thnx

• The setup wizard includes a button to send a test email.

• you can configure multiple email accounts on SQL Server Database Mail and then send emails with different email account at a time

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply