Migrating SQL Server 2005 32bit to 64bit

• Hello there, folks.

My main migration strategy is to use "backup" and "restore".

I was wondering if data backed up in SQL Server 2005 Standard 32bit can be restored in SQL Server 2005 Standard 64bit edition running on 64bit Windows Server without any problem.

Ah, one more thing, is it also possible to use Detach and Attach to migrate database from 32bit -> 64bit?

Thank you in advance

• yes

yes

It's your codelibrary that has to be 64-bit, so no change in data.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I was a bit hesitant to make a big move to a 64bit edition just because of migration issues.

Thank you for ensuring my assumption.

• Either way works fine.  I like the Detach and Attach methods, they take almost no time, while a backup and restore obviously has to copy everything record by record.  We just did this for all databases, and we were moving from SQL 7 (obviously 32 bit) to 2005 64 bit.  After the move, we had to go to each database's options tab and set compatibility to 2005, it was at 7 and backups weren't picking up the "old" databases.

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• Thank you for the great tips there BobAtDBS.

But would there be any data type size difference issue if I use detach/attach strategy when migrating?  I have thought that when I restore database file generated from 32bit system in 64bit sql server, i thought that there won't be much problem with a subtle problem though.

Am I just too paranoid or is the assumption correct?

• If I understand the question correctly, you're asking if 64 bit and 32 bit versions of SQL server store your data any differently?  No, they don't.  The 64 bit concept simply means that the program (sql server) was written and compiled to take advantage of new instructions available on the operating system and cpu.  It can move data from disk to cpu to memory in bigger chunks, and process program flow faster.  A byte (256 bits) of data is still a byte of data.  Varchar(10) still holds ten characters at most.

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• Bob thank you for following up my questions and clearing up the doubts I had.

I appreciate your help and am ready to make a move to 64bit system

• I got another question..

Now this may seam odd, But I had a problem in Windows 2000 with SQL2000 and Windows 2000 ADVANCED Server W/Sql2k

I couldn't do a SQL to tape of an Advanced server with AWE to and NON_Adv server with no AWE..

Seams odd, but there was an atricle about the INCompatibile of them..

Anyone know about SQL to tape problems between 64 and 32 bit??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply