Migrating from Sybase to SQL Server 2008

• Hello folks,

I have been assigned a new job of Migrating the databases from Sybase to SQL Server 2008.....Can anybody help me in providing the documentation and any suggestions on how to approach would be highly beneficial to me

Thanks in advance

• sandyinfowave (7/23/2010)

I have been assigned a new job of Migrating the databases from Sybase to SQL Server 2008.....Can anybody help me in providing the documentation and any suggestions on how to approach would be highly beneficial to me

Easy money 🙂

Let me make a note for the new generation... believe it or not the first commercial implementation of SQL Server was actually re-branded Sybase. Microsoft bought Sybase source code 😉

All you need is to follow SQL Server migration documentation... check here http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/migration-sybase.aspx

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • It's been a LONG time since I upgraded from Sybase to SQL Server. I went from ASE 10 (I think) to SQL Server 2000 (the newest version at the time) and we used DTS. To Paul's point, Sybase and SQL Server were even closer in architecture than they are now, and our migration went very well.

My advice - carefully check your tables that have identity values. We did have to do something with them, but that was a long time ago, and I don't really remember.

I wish I had more timely advice to give you....

Cindy

• There is another Sybase migration discussion going on that may assist...this post in particular may be useful to you:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1078311.aspx

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply