Migrating database from Access to SQL Express hung

• Late yesterday afternoon I ran the Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access to migrate an Access database's schema and data from an Access database to SQL Server 2005 Express.  This is the first time that I've ever used the Migration Assistant for Access, and when I got it started it went until it got to the point of copying the data - or so I thought.  I left it running over night.  It was at 45% completion when I left.

This morning I came into work, some 14 hours after having started the Migration Assistant for Access running, and I found that it was still at 45% completion!  Clearly, it was hung.

So then, how do I get the database schema and data from my Access database into SQL Server 2005 Express, if this Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access doesn't work?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• perhaps the transaction log OR DIS(S) WERE full ??

- default autogrow (increment,ceiling) for (data,tlog) comes from model

you could try a re-run and watch the tlog

DBCC SQLPERF(LOGSPACE)

• Dick, that is possible, I suppose.  I hadn't checked the file properties before I started, and now, just looking at it, I see that there is a file size restriction to the transaction log of about 2 GB.  (The HD that it is sitting on has a little over 37 GB of free disk space.)  I've killed the job, thinking that since it wasn't working I might as well kill it. 

The job did create the database, with the db schema, but it didn't copy over any of the data.  If I were to try and re-run the job would I have to drop the database?  (I assume the answer is yes, but I want to verify.)

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I would

1. backup the db as-is [at least has metadata even if no data]

2. drop the db

3. change model to be more generous with autogrows [100MB each recommended] and ceiling

4. start over with .exe

5. watch progress

best of luck!

Dick

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply