Merry Christmas 2019

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Merry Christmas 2019

• Merry Christmas to all of you out there in SQL Server land.  I have enjoyed another year of trying to keep up with you all and empathize with the things you face.  As usual, I'm blessed to be lounging here with my wife, my golden retriever, and my coffee in bed.  Soon we'll have sons, daughters-in-laws, and grandkids flying in from Florida and Colorado, so my database playtime is on hold.

An amazing thing about this year in tech for me included dealing with a hidden problem left-over from Y2K that has lain dormant for two decades in a couple desktop applications that I use daily.

This particular FIX for exporting historic data in .csv  format places an apostrophe before the two-digit year for the twentieth century and a slash for the twenty first century.  Then  another application when importing assumes year values greater than 50 are 20th and values less than 51 are 21st centuries.  Trouble is that there is historical data back to the 1940's that imports as future dates.

So it appears the creators both of these applications made poor design decisions 20+ years ago.

I'm betting this Y2K leftover is not going to be fixed in either one.

And this is no April Fools thing either.

Rick

One of the best days of my IT career was the day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply