Merge Replication - Downstream Updates

• SQL SERVER 2000

I have 8 quasi independent servers across the country. They all have the same schemas, and some of the lower-quantity tables are merge replicated.

My company is in ocean shipping. My application supplements our main system, so for the most part it's the consumer of data that we dont necessarily change. The main cargo tables are "read only" and updated only via a daily flat file update in the morning, so that my application is consistant with our main system.

The database is cargo-container centric.. And one of the basic questions we (my application) answer is who at my company handles any particular shipment. However, the cargo table isn't replicated because it's 100,000s rows… instead we replicate the rules of how to determine who does what so that , in the end, all 8 servers have identical cargo-to-person asisgments.. And we update the cargo table in the morning before start of business when I get my update of the cargo table from our main system

There is an auxiliary business procedure which can result in the reassignment of cargo in violation of any rule (by design) and it will be ad hoc. So since there can't be any "rules" of predetermining these cases, I'm going to store the override person's name in a replicated table. On the server of the change it's easy enough to update the main cargo table, the problem is then how to update the main cargo table (this table is not replicated) on the other servers, so that each server has this assignment override? As far as I can tell, the only way then to update the main table based on this other table is through an update trigger on the replicated table, so when the replication kicks in, all the other servers will run the trigger upon the receipt of this data from whatever server inserted a new record into the aux. table. Is this sounding like the correct approach?

• You will have to create a seperate process to update the main table. I would not use a trigger on a replicated table!

Kindest Regards,

• Totally agree with MrSQL. It's not recommended to have a trigger on a replicated table!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply