Merge replication and Upgrade to 2005

• I have looked around the internet and while I am sure I am just not using the right combo of keywords in the search I can not find an answer to thsi question. So I thought i would use one of my lifelines and ask the mob.

We currently have in place an old 2000 box that has been around for ever that management would like to get upgraded. However one of the DB's on this box has Merge Replication to laptops that are also using a standalone 2000 version. Since upgrading the laptops is beyond the scope of things I can control or influence. I have been trying to determine what will happen if we upgrade the server but the laptops remain at 2000 level. Will Merge Replication function as long as no table changes are made? Will it make a difference at all?

What has the collective experience been?

Thanks in advance

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Could you drop replication if it is not needed.

I guess it shouldn't matter if subsribers remain at 2000.

M&M

• the laptops which are the subscribers in this case will remain at 2000 and replication can not be removed. This is litterly a show stopper scenario for this project. if replication will not work between the 2 versions then the server will not be upgraded.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Is it possible to test this scenario on some test environment, atleast we could verify if merge replication would work fine or not across versions. I guess this scenario may be kind of new to many of us, it would be a good learning experience for us as well.

M&M

• I wish I could. The laptops are used by the fire deparment and contain sensative data. I thought about gathering up some equipment and replicating an environment to test with but before I went through that I figured I would use my life line and see what everyone thought.

Dan

• For anyone who is interested or looking into this we did the upgrade this weekend and the older client laptops where able to replicate with out any problem to the upgraded server.

Dan

• Great, nice to know really 🙂

M&M

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply