MDX EXISTING function not working with Filters in excel and cube browser

• I am having trouble counting the existing descendants within my time hierarchy when I apply a filter to the dataset in EXCEL 2007 or in the VS cube browser.

with

member [measures].[test2] as

count(existing(descendants([Dim Date Time].[Calendar Year - Calendar Quarter - Calendar Month No - Full Date Alternate Key - Holiday Flag].[Full Date Alternate Key],1))

)

select [measures].[test2] on 0

from [FIELD_Reporting]

where

(

[Dim Date Time].[Calendar Year - Calendar Quarter - Calendar Month No - Full Date Alternate Key - Holiday Flag].[Calendar Year].&[2009].&[1]

)

This query returns 31 days which is correct... but when I create this as a calculated member in the cube and apply a filter on the time hierarchy similar to the where clause the result shows all days in the entire hierarchy.

How can I modify the calculated member to be properly affected by the filters in excel?

• Hi Jason,

I don't know whether or not you've figured this out, but i think your MDX can and should do without the 'Existing'-piece. If your goal is to calculate the dates within the selected timeframe,just leave the Existing-pice out. Consider this, based on the AW cube:

with member [measures].[date count] as

descendants([Order Date].[Calendar].currentmember,[Order Date].[Calendar].[Date]).count

select {[measures].[date count]} on 0

from [Adventure Works DW]

where [Order Date].[Calendar].[Month].&[2003]&[1]

Works fine also when added to the cube.

Kind regards,

Cees

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply