MDAC 2.6 SP2 problems

• I downloaded a fresh copy of SP3 and installed them. But no good. Do you think my SQL server set up is messed up or something??

• No ideas. You should have sqlsp.log in c:\winnt directory and it will give some indication about service pack's installtion.

• Thank you Allen for all you help. I work around something and if this doesnot work then I will probably reinstall SQL server and see if that fixes any of the problems.

really appreciate all you help and time,

vijju

• I don't know if this will help or not.

I installed from MDAC 2.6 RTM to MDAC 2.6 SP1 and all was fine. When I tried to install back to MDAC 2.6 RTM, from that point on future MDAC installs on my PC didn't take, regardless of whether I tried to reinstall MDAC 2.6 SP1 or even MDAC 2.6 SP2.

I don't think Microsoft handles installing backwards (which sounds like what you may have done) in MDAC versions well.

I resolved this by restoring my PC back to a day before I did the install on the previous MDAC and everything is fine again. Don't know if that's an option for you.

You may want to check out their MDAC site for FAQ and issues, especially around rollback. Here's the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?contentid=28001860

• Alright, I reinstalled SP3 for SQL server 2000. The first un-packaging of the SQL2ksp3.exe didnot work properly. I didnot get any directories in X86. But the second time worked perfectly.

Coming to the actuall problem we started off with, I changed SQL authentication to Windows NT authentication in the DSN I was using to connect to the SQL server from ASP and it all works fine.

thanks for all your help guys,

really appreciate it,

Vijju

• Ok, this might be quite simple. You say you are using ASP, well...modify your Connection String to be:

"Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=MyDSN;UID=MyUser;PWD=MyPassword"

If that works then you know that the ODBC must be deleting the User / Password from your DSN maybe due to MDAC 2.6 or even SQL SP3. Personally, I'd never use a DSN and if I did, I'd never rely on it to store the User / Password.

• Wait, I just thought of somethng! If you've recently installed SQL Server SP3, by default it sets up the Server Logins for Windows Authentication ONLY! What you need to do is check the "Properties" of the Server (using Enterprise Manager or something) and then modify the "Authentication" option to be "SQL Server and Windows" on the "Secuity" Tab.

• The problem you are experiencing is that with MDAC 2.6 Microsoft has changed the entire structure of MDAC and how it operates. Also, they have installed stand-alone version of Client NetWork Utilities. You will need to go to start run and type cliconfg. You will need to enable TCP\IP and Named Pipes (this is where your problem is) Also, double check your user for the agent and the service

Michael Schwartz

Microfort Advance Solutions

• In you asp front end is there anywhere other than in ODBC you are defining the DSN string? If so, try setting the DSN to

DSN=DSN={dbname};UID={username};PWD={password}

This has worked for me when connecting to SQL Server via a connection outside our domain.

Steve Walker

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply