MCSA SQL 2008

• Just looking through MCP and on the "earn your next certification" section, it shows that all I need to do to get MCSA is to pass the TS:BI (70-488). Now I'm fairly confident on the majority of SSIS and SSRS, but SSAS is my weak point not had much exposure to that side of the BI stack.

Looking through the the learning page for 70-448, SSAS is weighted at 38% of the exam, so its quite a big chunk of the exam which I'm not really confident on so other than the 70-448 self paced kit, what other none NDA infringing resources would people recommend to bump up my SSAS skills.

• Honestly, I'd say don't bother. Unless you know the BI stuff very well.

This is from MS's rebranding of the certs from MCTS and MCITP to MCSA and MCSE. Rather if you're doing the 2008 certs do the ITP (assuming it's still there) and for 2012 decide whether you want the MCSE data platform (which only requires SSIS, DQS and MDS from the BI side) or MCSE Business Intelligence

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail, I'm sitting the ITP for administration in 2 weeks. I was going to go for the MCSE Data Platform so will need to get up to speed with MDS etc, that will be the task for after 70-450.

• You've got time for the MCSE data platform, the 2012 exams aren't out yet and neither are any study guides. Having written the beta, I would not suggest you try to write without some studying, the SSIS, DQS, MDS exam (70-463) is nasty.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the heads up Gail, much appreciated as always.

• There are pretty great training videos available freely on youtube; check this out by Amit Bansal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aglwqC8irMA

This video gave me enough confidence with my basics.

=======================================================================================

Visit my technical reference; you might find some of your issues already documented.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply