MCDBA vs non - MCDBA

• Hi I am working as a SQL DBA for last 3 years. I am planning to take MCDBA exams. But before that i want to know how much difference that it makes in my career in terms of salary and career growth. I am in the process of looking for a more senior position.

Thank you in advance for all your valuable Suggestions

• I don't have one, so can't really answer this, but I will say that I have seen a vast number of MCDBA's in the last couple of years, and they couldn't DBA their way out of a paper bag...

I truly believe that experience accounts for a lot more than the qualification, but you have the experience already so it may be beneficial.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• There are some great articles on this posted on the site.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/articleList.asp?categoryid=72

I'm in a similar boat as you.  I have decided not to get certified, but I am still going though with the study.  For me I feel that 15 years in IT, 6 years as a database user (writer of ad-hoc queries and data mining the old way, with SQL scripts and an understanding of the data) and 3 years as a SQL DBA in a small shop with very few problems is probably more than enough.  But I still want to learn more and more about the tool sets I'm using, so I just keep studying. 

• but i still want to take the test. the problem is we know that real experience is much better than a MCDBA with out real exp. But the problem is when ever i apply for a Sr DBA position, they are asking me about the certification. I think the problem is with HR people or Recruiters. I think if we dont have a MCDBA cert our resume wont even reach the Manager.

I have BS and MS in computer science. but still i am having this problem. so i have decided to take the MCDBA exams. I hope it will help my career in the future.

• In most organisations, MCDBA is unlikely to improve your salary or career path on its own.  You need to show by your actions you are worth paying more.

In job hunting, I think MCDBA will increase your chances of getting an interview.  After which it is again up to you to prove your worth.

Most organisations will give some support to their DBAs who want to go for MCDBA.  As a minimum, exam costs should be covered, also self-study guides.  If you want to go on a course or bootcamp this may take a lot more persuading.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• In my organization, none of the practicing DBAs (I'm one of them) have any certification, but there are several developers who do have their certification but do not intend to follow that career path.  In terms of salary or position - it hasn't affected me. But then I've been here 18 yrs and DBA is not one of my major responsibilities - until something goes wrong.

• I've seen similar circumstances.  Most of the people I've worked with that had certifications really didn't understand the tools they were working with beyond what it took to take the test.  I wouldn't mind taking the tests, but I've got 50+ databases to care for and little time to study.  I'd say that the biggest benefit to getting certified is your own self-perception - if it would boost your confidence, or satisfy yourself that you know what you're up to, it's worth it.

In an interview, I wouldn't mind being asked about not having a certification.  I'd just tell them that my on-the-job experiences kept me too busy doing the work to study for tests - plus, my current company doesn't pay for them, so it would have been out-of-pocket.  I'd challenge them (in a friendly way, I hope) to try me out and I'd prove that I'm as good or better than any of their candidates with certifications.  If they strongly prefer certifications, do they back that up by paying for classes and tests?

• To me the major advantage to certification is what you learn in the process.  I am a database developer, who has acted as dba in a couple single server shops.  In the process of studying for my mcdba I have learned a lot that I never would have learned by experience.  I think that I am more ready to respond to a novel situation as a result.  More importantly, digging into the trivia of SQL Server has opened up more research tools when I do get in a jam.

I have one more test to go (Windows 2003 Server exam).  I had thought that exam totally useless, but I have learned little tidbits that I am applying in my development work.

Bottom line:     MCDBA without experience is pretty useless.  Experience without outside learning (MCDBA is a tool to organize learning) is myopic.  MCDBA is a tool to get an interview (and thus increase job prospects).  But I agree that it is unlikely to increase your salary significantly.

Russel Loski, MCSD.Net

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• Hi just thought i would comment,

Im in australia and am currently undertaking MCSE and MCDBA courses in an effort to further my learning, Ive been SQL server DBA/application developer with SQL server for about 5 years...My experience with getting new jobs (in australia) is that recruiting companies and most companies in general use these qualifications as a way to "sift" through the multitude of applications...therefore...you may have 15yrs SQLserver experience but in Oz if you dont have those magic letters MCDBA / MCSE Etc , you chances of finding a job are greatly diminished, because there is a 2year experience guy with the quals who gets through to the next round...unfair but a fact of life here it seems !

Regards

Adam

------------------------------
    Life is far too important to be taken seriously

• Hi, honestly speaking, I would rather like to have more expereince than fighting for the certificate.You don't need the certificate to do be a good DBA but then without the certificate nobody knows you in the industry you can't stand and say I'm a DBA.SO that's why you need the certificate.

I thought I could go without it but then for some time now my way of thinking has changed and I have started I have passed 70-229 two weeks ago and I will be passing 70-228 in a week or so and so on, so if u can go for the certificate.

Thanks

• In my experience, certification is valuable only with experience. Use certification as an opportunity to learn more about what you might be doing over the past years. You are definitley bound to pick up a few things that you did not know even though you have enough experience in the field. I think it will also help while you plan to change your job as certification serves as a proof of your experience.

• This is the problem. I used to be a Tech Recruiter(regrettably) and am now a Data Analyst in two different companies. It's all about covering your behind. A recruiter is a Tech "Know Nothing" yet they have to be accountable. When they venture into areas they know nothing about they need something to back up their decisions to THEIR bosses. If the candidate doesn't pan out it's like saying "Well he was Microsoft Certified so he must have known something."

ddave

"But the problem is when ever i apply for a Sr DBA position, they are asking me about the certification. I think the problem is with HR people or Recruiters."

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply