MCDBA now, or later?

• Hi, I've been considering getting my MCDBA. However, I am a bit conflicted, should I get it now or wait until the next version comes out? If I get certified in the near future how long will it be valid?

I also read that one should take the Operating System exam, before the Implementation and Administration exams...how true it that? Since I spend most of my time writing ad hoc queries and stored procedures the Implementation exam is of interest to me.

Thanks in advance, for all your comments

• From someone who has been doing SQL Server work for 7yrs., I would recommend taking the current level of certification.  I would say 85% of the companies will not be moving to Yukon within the first 2 years of release.  If they do move they will need someone who has knowledge of the current platform as well as the new platform to perform the migration anyway.  If you only know the new, than you are not as strong of an asset.  As for marketability, I have found that the certification, regardless of platform is similar to a degree.  It will help you get the interview, but you still need to show you know what you are talking about.  There are a lot of paper champs out there.  Also remember the major pieces of DB work are similar regardless of platform.  Establish your strength at one level and than keep up with the new technologies.

• Agreed completely. There are still plenty of sites on 7.0 and even some on 6.5. Getting 2000 certification now will be valuable for years to come (or at least, as valuable as certification is; I also agree that unfortunately there are lots of people out there w/ certs on the resume who can't back it up at all once they show up for the interview).

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• Certifications are a mixed blessing. They demonstrate an awareness of the product but not in-depth knowledge. I am aware of how to do replication, but I have never replicated in SQL (Access, yes). The SQL code in the exam is simple compared to the "real world" - it has to be, since a DBA can have many different talents, SQL being only one of them.

If you want a certification, study and take the test. The only reason you might wait is because your shop is actively planning to move to Yukon within the first six months (mine isn't).

Being certified in something that you do not actively use is useless. Experience and certification are the keys to any advancement.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Yes, you should take the operating system exam first because there is some crossover in the 70-228 objective "Managing, Monitoring and Troubleshooting SQL Server 2000". By taking the operating system exam first, you will be prepared for the 70-228 questions that deal with hardware issues.

--edited--

If you get your MCDBA now on SQL Server 2000, you might get credit for some of the Yukon MCDBA requirements. Microsoft also might release an upgrade exam for current MCDBA's to get credit for the Yukon 70-228 and 70-229 equivalents. That is my hope and speculation.

--end edit--

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply