May we put the Forums and/Or blog activity on Resume?

• Hi Experts

Just comment on this topic;

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Hey Ali,

I'm not sure why you would want to. If you were writing articles and getting them published, sure, I could see that being something for a resume. Forum discussions and the like are usually par for the course for any tech field.

What would you be looking to do with putting it into your resume?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (9/18/2010)

Hey Ali,

I'm not sure why you would want to. If you were writing articles and getting them published, sure, I could see that being something for a resume. Forum discussions and the like are usually par for the course for any tech field.

Hi

Craig Farrell

just, I'm looking an idea sir ji.

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• You can put anything you like into a resume. However if you do, make sure that it shows you in a good light. If you put such a comment there, expect the interviewer will check.

If, for example, someone did that and when the interviewer checked they found most of the posts were very entry-level questions, that person has probably done more harm than good by calling attention to their posting.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Experts

Thanks Gail and all others.

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Craig Farrell (9/18/2010)

Hey Ali,

Absolutely on the articles or blog (careful there too you want quality technical articles and some personality)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hi All,

You should give the details of your blog/website on your resume[/url]. It helps to recruiters to understand your vision/creativity and uniqueness.

But remember mention it only when it has some value, I mean if it is going to produce something good impact, having some measurable value, else it is useless and may be reason for your disqualification!!

Software Development Company[/url]
    Mobile App Development[/url]

• yes, It is good practice to make aware employer about your creativity as an internet blogger.

It will surely make an good impression on employer.

resume writing[/url] | examples of resumes[/url]

• Ali Tailor (9/18/2010)

Hi Experts

I would just put "active in SQL community".

You can discuss details at the interview itself.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (12/14/2011)

Ali Tailor (9/18/2010)

Hi Experts

I would just put "active in SQL community".

You can discuss details at the interview itself.

I have my article contributions and Blog listed. Some people check it and it makes a difference.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I would generally say yes on technical blog and articles. But keep in mind who all of those present you. you might mention your activity on SSC or such if it is notable.

What you really need to be aware of is that this gives a future employer some insight into how you act and your level of skill. If you are often wrong in your posts then your articles and blogs might not help much.. If you come across even tempered and knowledgeable then it will likely help. On my resume I reference the articles I have written. Since I post here under the same name you can make some assumptions that the articles are by me.

I've had these all checked out prior to interviews and I've gotten some interviews simply because the interviewer could get more in depth information in a way that reveals more relevant things about me than how I answer their finite set of questions.

I would also probably not mention postings here if I only had a couple hundred. That may sound petty but in light of many here less than 500 points is not very impressive..

And there are some users whose personality in forums is not conducive to a good impression.. One name that comes to mind starts with C and is very similar to a character played by Ashton Kutcher on That 70's Show.. Don't mention thinks that cast you in a bad light..

CEWII

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply