MAX DATE

• When I run my Query I get Multiple rows for each customer when I should get one.

My trouble is that tables B,C,D HAVE A EFFDT(effective date) and I need to get the MAX(EFFDTT)

I thing I want to use MAX EFFDT. How would I use it and can it be used in the where clause

MY SQL:

select A.CUST_ID,A.NAME1, B.ADDRESS1, B.CITY,B.STATE, B.POSTAL,C.PYMNT_TERMS_CD, D.CR_LIMIT

from PS_CUSTOMER (nolock) A ,PS_CUST_ADDRESS (nolock) B , PS_CUST_OPTION (nolock) C, PS_CUST_CREDIT (nolock) D

WHERE A.CUST_ID=B.CUST_ID AND C.CUST_ID=A.CUST_ID AND D.CUST_ID=A.CUST_ID AND A.CUST_STATUS='A' AND

A.BILL_TO_FLG='Y' AND (C.PYMNT_TERMS_CD LIKE 'CIT%' OR C.PYMNT_TERMS_CD LIKE 'BBT%')

• I'm guessing that you want to get only that row that corresponds to the max date.

first, I'd suggest you write using ANSI joins. That would be something like:

select A.CUST_ID,A.NAME1, B.ADDRESS1, B.CITY

,B.STATE, B.POSTAL,C.PYMNT_TERMS_CD, D.CR_LIMIT

from PS_CUSTOMER (nolock) A

inner join PS_CUST_ADDRESS (nolock) B

on A.CUST_ID=B.CUST_ID

inner join PS_CUST_OPTION (nolock) C

on C.CUST_ID=A.CUST_ID

inner join PS_CUST_CREDIT (nolock) D

on D.CUST_ID=A.CUST_ID

WHERE A.CUST_STATUS='A'

AND A.BILL_TO_FLG='Y'

AND (C.PYMNT_TERMS_CD LIKE 'CIT%'

OR C.PYMNT_TERMS_CD LIKE 'BBT%'

)

It's cleaner to read and it's easier to be sure your joins are working. Second, please format things so you can see what's being joined and compared. My old eyes (and many others' as well) struggle with things run together. This is your code, not ours, so it doesn't necessarily make sense at first.

To get an effective date, which table are you getting the max from? The hint I'll give is that you probably want a join to a row in that table. For the B table, you'd add to your where

and b.effectivedate = ( select max( effectivedate)

from PS_CUST_ADDRESS e

where b.PK = e.Pk

)

where the PK is your primary key. Or it could be the customer ID. without more information on the tables, hard to determine what makes sense.

• Thanks

this is what I ended up with:

select A.CUST_ID,A.NAME1, B.ADDRESS1, B.CITY

from PS_CUSTOMER (nolock) A

inner join PS_CUST_ADDRESS (nolock) B

on A.CUST_ID=B.CUST_ID

inner join PS_CUST_OPTION (nolock) C

on C.CUST_ID=A.CUST_ID

inner join PS_CUST_CREDIT (nolock) D

on D.CUST_ID=A.CUST_ID

WHERE A.CUST_STATUS='A'

AND A.BILL_TO_FLG='Y'

AND (C.PYMNT_TERMS_CD LIKE 'CIT%'

OR C.PYMNT_TERMS_CD LIKE 'BBT%')

and B.EFFDT=(SELECT MAX(EFFDT) FROM PS_CUST_ADDRESS BB

WHERE B.CUST_ID=BB.CUST_ID)

And C.EFFDT=(SELECT MAX(EFFDT) FROM PS_CUST_OPTION CC

WHERE C.CUST_ID=CC.CUST_ID)

And D.EFFDT=(SELECT MAX(EFFDT) FROM PS_CUST_CREDIT DD

WHERE D.CUST_ID=DD.CUST_ID)

• If you have time to do a little testing, it might be interesting to see the performance difference of this approach against your current code. I understand some people may have an even faster approach using the ROW_NUMBER function.

Caution: Cut, pasted, and typed freehand after 9pm and not tested. May cause generation of Higgs Bosons.

SELECT A.CUST_ID,A.NAME1, B.ADDRESS1, B.CITY

FROM PS_CUSTOMER (nolock) A

--

CROSS APPLY (SELECT TOP 1 BB.ADDRESS1, BB.CITY, BB.[STATE], BB.POSTAL

FROM PS_CUST_ADDRESS BB (nolock)

WHERE BB.CUST_ID = A.CUSTID

ORDER BY BB.EFFDT DESC) B

--

CROSS APPLY (SELECT TOP 1 CC.PYMNT_TERMS_CD

FROM PS_CUST_OPTION (nolock) CC

WHERE CC.CUST_ID = A.CUST_ID

AND (CC.PYMNT_TERMS_CD LIKE 'CIT%' OR CC.PYMNT_TERMS_CD LIKE 'BBT%')

ORDER BY CC.EFFDT DESC) C

--

CROSS APPLY (SELECT TOP 1 DD.CR_LIMIT

FROM PS_CUST_CREDIT (nolock) DD

WHERE DD.CUST_ID = A.CUST_ID

ORDER BY DD.EFFDT DESC) D

--

WHERE A.CUST_STATUS='A'

AND A.BILL_TO_FLG='Y'

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• This is PeopleSoft. If the code is generated/maintained by the PeopleSoft tools, the poster unfortunately has little control over how the code is generated.

I'll pass this thread on to our PeopleSoft Admin, perhaps she can provide a bit more guidance.

• You can tell that from the table and column names, I suppose.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I will Test this to day to see what the performance difference is and post the results

Thanks

• Thanks, tw. I'll look forward to hearing about it.

• Bob Hovious (4/7/2009)

You can tell that from the table and column names, I suppose.

Yes. I provide SQL Server support for our PeopleSoft developers, so I have learned a bit about the database and the tables.

• Yet the poster apparently has more control than you would think 😉

• Bob Hovious (4/7/2009)

Yet the poster apparently has more control than you would think 😉

Actually, depending on what and how they are doing things, there are "ways" around the tools. It all depends on how much they want or need to maintain things seperately from the tools. If I am remembering things correctly. I'm sure our PeopleSoft Admin will correct me if needed.

• I have this sudden vision of a man in a Gestapo uniform staring at a PeopleSoft screen and thinking "We have ways of dealing with you."

• I uploaded the results of a showplan for the two SQL statements,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply