Master Keys

• Hi,

We are copying in a server via platespin. SQL is not starting and the error logs point to issues with Master Keys, as encryption fails when SQL starts.

The reading I have done today points to solutions around running SQL queries using a FORCE option. However, if I cannot open SQL then I cannot run a RESTORE MASTER KEYS FORCE against any of the Databases. A real chicken and egg situation.

A complicated area of SQL, so I may have misunderstood some of the articles. So, any pointers most welcome. Thank you.

Colin

• Can you post the actual error message?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'm not sure how platespin works, but you might need to backup the service master keys and restore those on the copy.

• first error was

"An error occured during decryption"

followed by error

"failed to check for new installation or a renamed server at start up. The logic for this step has failed unexpectedly. Run set up again or fix the problematic registry key"

• The problem with the RESTORE MASTER KEY is that it runs in SQL, if I cannot get SQL to start then how can I run the SQL?

Platespin replicates the entire disk from one server to another. Ideal for cross domain migrations

• I checked your error messages online, and it appears that this is most likely a problem with the service account accessing the Windows Registry. It's either using an account that doesn't have access (like NET LOGIN), or the registry is different because you copied SQL from one server to another, without synchronizing the registry entries between the two installations (or just copied SQL Server from one to the other without actually going through the installation process on the copy-destination).

You'll either need to change the account used by the service, or grant the account it is using the permissions needed, or you'll need to synchronize the registry entries or fix them.

Try those steps.

There were other suggestions when I plugged in your error messages in an Internet search, but those were the most common/successful steps.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks, will see how we go.

• How about errors

"TDSSNIClient initialization failed"

and

"SQL could not spawn FRunCM thread"

• Do you have percent symbols in any of the login names? If so, you have a Kerberos issue, and you'll need to remove those.

Property of The Thread

• Looks like you can also run into this if you have the Via protocol turned on for connections to SQL Server.

Property of The Thread

• Have already checked the Protocol. Ckeck this out, which points me back to the Master Keys. \0ginal posting was at http://www.windows-tech.info/15/00680ec45b6aaa24.php

2007-10-11 02:52:40.15 spid5s Failed to check for new installation or a renamed server at startup. The logic for this check has failed unexpectedly. Run setup again, or fix the problematic registry key.

Read the following blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/lcris/archive/2005/09/30/475822.aspx

Can you confirm exactly what changes you made, because the last error above can only occur if you've changed both the service account and the machine name

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply