master full..

•  

I have a master database of 50MB which is full so SQL Server has

stopped.How can I restart it..

..hema

• What do you mean by "it is full"

where did you see message? Please provide exact message from SQL Error Log

• It was just a scenario on which I have a doubt..

So I can't specify the error message.

Suppose the size of the master database is 50MB

and that 50MB is full then obviously SQL Server will

stop running.We can't even restart it normally so how to start the sql server?

..hema

• The database will autogrow when the database reaches its limit of 50MB, IF there is enough free space on the disk that the .mdf resides.

I normally set my DBS to autogrow by 10%, so your database would need at least 5 MB of free space on the disk it resides on.

Regards

Carl

• This is why you need to do one of two things with every database, including system databases.

1. set the database to autogrow (I prefer a set size not a percentage).

2. create (or alter) the database to have a large enough size that it will never outgrow it.

-SQLBill

• Thanx for the help..but I want to know how to

restart the sql server when the master database

is full..

...hema

• Below are the steps which you can follow.

1. Stop SQL Server

2. Start SQL Server from Command prompt using below syntax

sqlservr.exe -c -m -T3607

One it is done, open query analyzer and alter master database to increase the size. Refer BOL for complete syntax. Once done, Press Ctrl+C on command prompt.

Hope this clarifies your doubt.

• Hi,

you can take a look in the BOL the "Using Startup Options" and you can use these parameters to specify an alternate master database file or master database log file.

I don't know if you can restart the sqlserver with sqlservr.exe -c -m when the master is full and whether you will be able to change the size in the master database. With '-m' parameter you can restart in single-user mode.

After you can open QA and use alter database command in master database.

On the other hand, if you have a master backup then you could use "Rebuild master utility", but you must be carefull with this utility because rebuilding the master database removes all database objects and data. After rebuilding this database you have to re-create the database objects and reload the data from backup. You can see this method in the BOL too.

It's very important to have the autogrow option in all databases and it's more important to have disk space. I don't know whether something like that was happened..

Regards

•  Mr Lahkani,

We know that when sql server is started it uses three files:

1) master.mdf file

2)master.ldf file

3)error log file

But as master is full, Can it use the files of the master database?

• And one more question:

when the master database is full, will the sql server stop running? Plz clarify this.....

..hema

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply