Mapping Different Logins to Same User in Database

• Hi,

My question is more on simplifying things for my environment so hoping that I can clearly propose the idea on which I have been pondering.

When we refresh a dev or QA database from prod, a lot of prod users come to these environment and when we extract permissions before refresh, the script also contains these unwanted users.

Lets say that I have 20 logins in DEV instance so rather than doing the conventional thing after a refresh, can we simply drop all the users from a database and map these 20 logins to a single database user with the sufficient permissions.

For example if I have a login called domain\LoginA and domain\Login B, can I have a single user called dev_db in a database and map these two logins to this single user so that while extracting permissions only this single user is extracted and after each refresh, we cleanup the unwanted users and create this single one only.

Is there a possibility? Sorry if my question is not too clear, let me know I will try to explain in another way.

Regards

Chandan Jha

• If you don't want to add in all of the accounts, you could create a group (either in the domain, or locally on the SQL Server box), then add that group as an account in SQL Server and make it a member of your database role with the appropriate permissions.

• sestell1 (4/3/2013)

If you don't want to add in all of the accounts, you could create a group (either in the domain, or locally on the SQL Server box), then add that group as an account in SQL Server and make it a member of your database role with the appropriate permissions.

Thanks. Yes this is a possible and neat solution. I was just trying to do the same with an sql user but looks like there is no way we can do that.

Regards

Chandan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply