Manual Labor

• I started a barn quite some time ago and the initial picture that I think I put up is to the right. Not much progress there. This is pretty much the initial site after the holes were dug into which poles would later be placed. Actually they weren't poles but rather 2-3 pieces of lumber laminated together.

Well we had some issues with the city and the contractors and things moved rather slowly. That picture was early April and here we were in early June.

Early July is below and things happened, but we still weren't nearly as far along as we expected.

Again not a great deal of progress, but last Friday the framers finally finished and I had a barn. Well, not quite a whole barn since I'm waiting on the last couple of minor finishing items that are a separate group of subcontractors. But by next week everyone should pretty much be done except my wife and I. We're finishing the last few items ourselves. Here we stand today.

And the resident of the barn:

So this weekend I primed a bunch of trim, just finished that Sunday, and we'll be painting this week with some drafted labor as my sisters-in-law come into town midweek. I'm hoping the outside will be complete by next weekend and I'll be then stuck wiring up the inside. I'm not an electrician, but I can wire everything up, leave it hanging, and then I'll have someone qualified and certified connect the hot wires to the panel. I can do a lot of things, but I'm not quite sure I'm up for that.

So if I disappear for a few days and no editorials appear, it's likely I fell off a ladder or tried some other stupid stunt that I'm not capable of doing. It's not likely, however, as my wife has a pretty good Steve-Stupid-Idea-O-Meter that she'll use to let me know when I'm getting in over my head.

Besides, she's mostly the one on ladders doing the final finishing and caulking. We both know she's much more skilled than I in that area.

Steve Jones

• Steve,

Your barn is looking good.  I am sure you feel that it is worth the labor after it is all done.  So how many acre does your family has? 

mom

• We're almost 3 acres. Not much for a ranch, but we're close to down. If you could see past the house behind the horse, the Centennial airport and Broncos practice facilities are about 3 miles away.

Once the kids go, it's off to a real 50+acre plot.

• Well I am amaze that you could keep it up.  my family has half an acre in town and it is hard enough for my husband to keep it up.

mom

• It's not that kept up

Need to mow some grass. That horse won't eat it fast enough

• Once the kids go, it's off................

haven't you heard - The kids NEVER leave....

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• They better get some tents then.

We're selling and moving to a place with less bedrooms.

• Hmm! That's why I decided on a Barnmaster barn.  They had it up in 1 day!  I just had to add the paddock and the horses.  It has been 6 years now and I am really happy with it.

Enjoy!  There is nothing better than having your best friends in the backyard!  The barn looks great!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply