managing failover clustering on windows server 2008 r2

• can shutting down one of the node in cluster on vmware ,failover to another cluster node.

as I shut down one of the node of a cluster and now when i restart machine

it shows cluster status as down and clustering event as critical what exactly i need to do in this case...

• how many nodes in the cluster?

what quorum type are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I am doing two node cluster and i have used iscsi for shared disk.once my windows cluster is up I want to configure sql cluster on top of it and later

want to use high availability group with sql 2012.

but my cluster nodes are showing status as DOWN.

• sej2008 (10/17/2014)

I am doing two node cluster and i have used iscsi for shared disk.once my windows cluster is up I want to configure sql cluster on top of it and later

want to use high availability group with sql 2012.

but my cluster nodes are showing status as DOWN.

Ok, so which quorum type are you using?

If you don't know, run this simple Powershell command and post the result

get-clusterquorum

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• it is node majority.I am getting both node showing clustering status as UP.No problem but Quorum configuration as warning:node majority.

I did try to make to Node and Disk majority as I have two node cluster.I tried to add disk from Failover Clustering Manager-storage- but error is come saying:

No disk available for cluster.

In storage shows disk name clusterdisk1(5gb) online.

What I need to do now...

• Another question is how do I safely stop/shut down windows clustering.so that when I restart my cluster nodes which are on vmware can show clustering staus up and with no problems.

• sej2008 (10/19/2014)

it is node majority.

OK, with a 2 node cluster, Majority Node Set is not the correct qorum type. Shutting down will node will take the cluster offline on the existing node, usually!!

What Windows Operating System do you have installed on the nodes?

sej2008 (10/19/2014)

it is node majority. I am getting both node showing clustering status as UP.No problem but Quorum configuration as warning:node majority.

Yes, as stated above MNS is not correct here.

sej2008 (10/19/2014)

I did try to make to Node and Disk majority as I have two node cluster.I tried to add disk from Failover Clustering Manager-storage- but error is come saying:

No disk available for cluster.

In storage shows disk name clusterdisk1(5gb) online.

What I need to do now...

Sounds like you have no cluster disk free to provide to the quorum, have you tried using a fileshare witness, this doesn't require a cluster disk 😉

See my guide at this link[/url] near the bottom for how to create a fileshare witness

• I know Node and Disk Majority is recommended for Two Node windows clustering.

I am using windows server 2008 R2 and using ISCSItarget tool which downloaded from Net.

I am not clear of creating targets and designing virtual shared volume and disks for Quorum ,Sql data files using ISCItarget exe.

Could you please highlight how many Targets are needed and how to set up proper storage for clustering on VMware.I am missing out on proper steps of configuring SAN for clustering.

so not able to proceed for Sql Clustering installation.

Thanks in advance

• sej2008 (12/2/2014)

I know Node and Disk Majority is recommended for Two Node windows clustering.

Instead of disk witness use a fileshare witness 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply