Management Studio - External Tools?

• Hi all,

In SQL2K Enterprise Manager External Tools I am able to add parameters to a command in order to explore remote server drives (i.e- command: c:\windows\explorer.exe, parameter \\[SRV]\E$). I don't seem to be able to figure out how to get the same functionality in Management Studio. Does any one know how?

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• In SSMS, click Tools (at the top), then External Tools. You can add commands with parameters (I even did exactly what you described, just to make sure it works).

Cheers,

Joshua Jones

• How are you entering the arguments. All I seem to be to see is my own  C drive.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• In the External Tools dialog box:

Title: Explore

Command: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Arguments: \\server\path

Initial Directory: [blank]

I pointed the arguments at our backup server, and now when I click on Tools>Explore, I get an explorer window showing that server and path.

Is that what you're trying to accomplish?

Cheers,

Joshua Jones

• No - EM in 2K used replaceable parameters. [SRV] would be replaced by the server name currently selected in the list of SQL Servers. I was hoping to di the same in MS.

MG

Tony Hoare

• My apologies; I misunderstood.

I see the problem now. I can't get that to work either. Look forward to seeing if anyone else can.

Cheers,

Joshua Jones

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply