Management Studio

• Hi all,

I'll be honest - so far I really don't like Management Studio which replaces Enterprise Manager and Query Analyser in SQL 2005.  I've had a look about but I still have a few gripes.  I'm not posting them here purely cos I feel like having a moan, I'm inviting anyone who's got a solution or workaround for any of them to offer them!

- The "Summary" pane doesn't show enough info about whatever is selected in the Object Explorer, in fact as far as I can see, it only shows the contents of the currently selected object in OE, thus duplicating displayed information.

- The "Properties" pane doesn't seem to work.  It never shows the properties of selected objects in the Object Explorer or even when you right-click something and hit "Properties".  The properties for that object then appear in a separate window altogether.

- System databases and system objects within user databases cannot be seen.

- Right clicking any object it seems there are fewer things available to do with the object from that menu.  Personally I was used to just right-clicking something and finding the function I needed right there in front of me.

- The layout of the panes etc. doesn't seem to be saved for the next time I run Management Studio.  Every time I start it I have to spend a minute or two opening panes, arranging them where I want them etc.

Like I said, I'm hoping some folks can point out ways to fix the above problems or maybe even get a "getting the most from Management Studio 2005" discussion going.

Thanks in advance

Niall

• I'm not sure I necessarily have a "solution" for your issues...

1. Yes, the summary pane defaults to List, but select a server or database and click on report and you get a RS report on that item. Still not sure how usefull this tab is.

2. Yes, properties window is useless (at least in my experience), so I turn it off. I think this is more of a leftover issue of trying to cram Enterprise Manager into the Visual Studio environment.

3. System databases are viewable. System tables are not (MS discourages accessing the system tables directly), you can still query them.... Other system object (views, stored procs) are viewable.

4. I guess there probably are fewer options, but all the functionality is there, of course you could always use TSQL...

5. I don't have the same issue, Management Studio keeps retains my settings (windows, sizes, etc...). Maybe you have to turn that option on check Tools..Options.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply