Maintenance plan jobs failing on SQL 2000.

• I have a scheduled backup maintenance plan which does backup the database, transaction log and remove the old files. When it comes to remove the files its failing and in the report logs it does say zero files deleted.

(3) Database mpd: Delete Old Backup Files...

0 file(s) deleted.

Could not firgure out as the information is very less to trouble shoot.

Any idea as why?

• SQL Guru's is this so challenging :blink:

• Verify that the user/service/account which is running the job/agent has enough rights to delete files from the location. Modify does not allow delete. So the account must have full access.

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Another thing to check is what else is running on the server at the same time as the mantenance plan. I've seen a situation before where a system backup was happening to tape at the same time the maintenance plan was being run so the file was in use and couldn't be deleted.

• Verified the user/service/account which is running the job/agent has full permissions.

I have deleted and created a new plan and could see the old backup files are getting deleted, but the transaction log is failing on one database and due to this all the old log files are not deleted. :blink:

Is this normal?

It should delete the old log files for the databases that are successfull, isn't it?

• Why is the T-Log failing?? :unsure:

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• No Clue. :ermm:

Can I know from the system? there is no much information the logs to troubleshoot.

There is no space/permission/deadlock issue during the backup time.

• Create separate maintenance plans for full backups and transaction log backups and see what you find 😎

Thanks!!

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• backup failures are reported in the errorlog so that should tell you why it failed.

Also, deletes are not done untill all backups are completed, so if one fails, no deletes are done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Below are the error message from the log, is this information enough to troubleshoot?

Backup can not be performed on database 'SCom'. This sub task is ignored.

End of maintenance plan 'DB backup1' on 10/24/2008 3:00:32 AM

SQLMAINT.EXE Process Exit Code: 1 (Failed)

Let me watch on the separate backup plan created for T-log and see what error it throws?

thanks!

• Please make sure that database named "SCom" is not set to simple recovery model. T-log backups cannot be performed with simple recovery model.

MJ

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply