Maintenance Plan Information

• I need help finding out information about what Maintenance Plans are doing under the cover. Information like what types of locks are used, what type of access to a DB is need (exclusive ), what will happen when the Maintenance Plan is running the optimzation and users are in the table. Any help would be great.

Arthur Lorenzini

• One quick easy way would be to run a Profiler Trace while your scheduled jobs in the plans are running.  You'll want to filter the output so you're only capturing events generated by the account/authority that the SQL Server agent is running under.

I don't know that you can capture access change events in Profiler (I haven't tried) but this is determined by what the job is attempting to do.  For instance, selecting the option to run the consistency checks with the 'Attempt to repair any minor problems' turned on will always attempt to put the database in single user mode or the job will fail if it cannot. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• In addition to profiler and your own observations you can check this article:

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/ak_inside_sql_server_maintenance_plans.asp

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply