Maintenance Plan

• Hi All,

I have two questions regarding to Maintenance Plan in specific to History Cleanup Task and Maintenance Cleanup Task.

1. Maintenance Cleanup task: I want to clean up all of the backup files that are old than 2 weeks so I used Maintenance Cleanup Task to do so, the question is I have sub folders for every DB, for example: E:\BACKUP\DUMMY1_DOMAIN_COM\DUMMY.BAK (DUMMY1 IS THE NAME OF MY DB). In the Maintenance Cleanup Task, it had "search folder and delete files based on the extension", so I put "E:\BACKUP" and file extention, I had "BAK" and "check" on Include the fist level subfolder. it doesn't seem to work since I didn't point to the specific folder for each database, I used "E:\BACKUP" and SQL only looked for .BAK under backup folder and of course it won't find those files. Thoughts?

2. History Clean up: does it only delete the metadata within msdb for backup and restore history , etc..... do I get any benefit to have history clean up as well?

3. Is it required to have History Cleanup Task to be run first before I run Maintenace Cleanup Task?

thanks all

• 1) I think you don't need to mention the DOT '.' in the extension for the files to be deleted. Just mention 'BAK' and it should work.

2) Not sure what is your question.

3) No. I would rather cleanup the files first and then the history.

Blog
    http://saveadba.blogspot.com/

• The Cleanup History Task removes history for several areas. It will only work for the job history if you disable the default setting on the History page for SQL Server Agent properties.

I disable the History in the Agent and define a separate maintenance plan just for History Cleanup. This plan has only the Cleanup History task and I have it set to keep 6 months of history for everything.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply