Maintanance

• How to check all the maintenance plans at same time. I want to test the migration so I saw that we have see all maintenance plans and take scripts of all those to run on the destination. How could you do that?

• ramana3327 (12/24/2013)

How to check all the maintenance plans at same time. I want to test the migration so I saw that we have see all maintenance plans and take scripts of all those to run on the destination. How could you do that?

To be honest, I didn't know you could actually script out maintenance plans. How did you do that?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Even I don't know. May be I misunderstand.

• There is a way to 'script' maintenance plans - but it takes a bit of effort.

Step1: build your maintenance plans

Step2: Import the maintenance plans to an SSIS package

Step3: Modify the connection to point to new system

Step4: Save Copy As from SSIS to destination

Note: the owner of the plans will need to be changed manually (update ssispackages table in MSDB)

Note: there is a parameter in SSIS that needs to be modified (can't remember which one). If this is not modified, the new plans will run all steps successfully but still generate a failure.

I find it is just easier to create the maintenance plans manually. It is just as easy to open a source plan, copy/paste the tasks from one plan to the other - and make necessary changes as it is to export/import.

And, if you create stored procedures that can be called from either agent jobs or maintenance plans - it is just as easy to create either manually on each new system.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thank you Jeffry

• and with all those headaches for migrating SSIS maintenance plans, is there anything that the maintenance plans do that that the scripts from ola hallengren[/url] doesn't do from a TSQL script standpoint instead?

i prefer jobs that are in TSQL myself, for me they are a little easier to track down when things go wrong. for me, SSIS maintenance plans just add an extra level of complexity that's not needed.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply