Maintaince Jobs vs sql agent scripts

• amy26 (1/7/2016)

I only use Maintenance Plans for backups (data and transaction log) as well as file cleanup. They work pretty well for that. (For what I need anyways).

I also concur that doing the indexing with the maintenance plan is not a good idea. I found that it sometimes didn't actually do something when it needed to for different tables. I am using the indexing script that the others have referenced and it is really awesome. It is so customizable and once you get it set up the way you want, is very effective.

I've seen them fail part-way through running the backups. They just error out and don't continue. The error message only shows the first N characters of each message posted, so figuring out where it died can be a pain. The rest of the databases just don't get backed up during that run.

• So every one concur that maintenance is some thing that we should dump away and use scripts

so if maintenance plan dont work should we at least know the reason why and where is the failure or do we just say because it fails through some tables that means there is no use for it

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply