Losing dataset while altering format

• Hello,

In my report, I have several datasets that display many tables. I run the report and the data displays as I want. However, if I move a table or do some other formatting and then run the report again, the report doesn't recognise some datasets.

"Report item expressions can only refer to fields within the current data set scope or, if inside an aggregate, the specified data set scope."

I've refreshed the dataset, I've set the expression of the textbox to be the datafield I want. The fields I want are in my list of datasets. Yet when I run the report I keep getting this error. When I had this before, I deleted the dataset and created a new version that was exactly the same. This fixed the problem but I don't want to have to recreate the dataset each time I move a table in the layout.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to avoid it?

thanks,

Paul

• paucann (12/22/2009)

Hello,

In my report, I have several datasets that display many tables. I run the report and the data displays as I want. However, if I move a table or do some other formatting and then run the report again, the report doesn't recognise some datasets.

"Report item expressions can only refer to fields within the current data set scope or, if inside an aggregate, the specified data set scope."

I've refreshed the dataset, I've set the expression of the textbox to be the datafield I want. The fields I want are in my list of datasets. Yet when I run the report I keep getting this error. When I had this before, I deleted the dataset and created a new version that was exactly the same. This fixed the problem but I don't want to have to recreate the dataset each time I move a table in the layout.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to avoid it?

thanks,

Paul

This is in my known issue book going back to 2006 and I have not used SQL Server 2008 for production so I don't know. The quick fix which may not be so quick in your case is create a clone. That is create a new report with the new addition. And I have decided not to give the SSRS team bugs because the last 20 I gave to them by hand were depreciated in SQL Server 2008.

😉

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks for the reply. It's not very encouraging but c'est la vie.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply