Loop won''t terminate

• Thanks for the replies,

Let me try and clear some things up:

1.  the whole reason i started this thread was because i was trying to write a one time import routine that would be thrown away.

2.  generally when i write data logic, i place the logic in stored procedures.  I often will run a check on an input parameter before executing another stored procedure or Insert / Update / Select statement.

How do you call one stored procedure from another without writing "bad code"?

Do you guys consider it wrong to write code like:

Declare @value1 as int

Select @Value1 = @Column1 From Table1

IF @Value1 is > 0

begin

Exec stored_Procedure1 @Value1=@Value1

end

ELSE

begin

Exec stored_Procedure2

end

• >>Do you guys consider it wrong to write code like:

Declare @value1 as int

Select @Value1 = @Column1 From Table1

IF @Value1 is > 0

begin

Exec stored_Procedure1 @Value1=@Value1

end

ELSE

begin

Exec stored_Procedure2

end

. <<

Oh yeah! that's to ask for trouble if it grows!

For instance: Suppose user1 and user2 are calling your procedure at once and let's assume stored_procedure1 changes the value of column1. when the select statement is called both are receiving the same value (supposed = 1) then one of them changes through the sp the value and the other is still going to call the stored procedure inspite of the value being different now

I hope it was not too difficult to understand

Cheers

* Noel

• As Noel implied, to ensure the value selected does not change between the time it is read and the time it is acted on, you would need to be within a transaction and do the SELECT using with (Holdlock) or with (Updlock).

Edit: More to the point.  These issues/problems can and should be avoided (as mentioned) with a well crafted SQL statement.

P.S.  It was beautiful the day someone came to me and said it looks like my procedue was not working correctly and I replied I don't know how that can be as there is not one line of procedural code (to screw up) it's all one update statement and I can prove it works. 

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply