Loop to Repeat Export Process

• I am looking to output approximately 100 tables to excel with the following code.
    One for work each day from Jan. 1st to now to investigate trends.

I am somewhat familiar with looping in other languages, but I am unsure how I would accomplish this in SQL and save + export each of these so I can summarize and aggregate the data later in excel.
    Is there a faster way than manually changing the date range to a day later, executing and saving the grid 100 times?

SELECTtlorder.origcity AS "Destination", COUNT(*) AS "Number ofOrders", SUM(total_charges) AS "Customer Bill",SUM(order_interliner.functional_amt) AS "Total Partner Costs"

FROM tlorder

JOIN order_interliner ON tlorder.detail_line_id = order_interliner.detail_line_id

WHERE origcountry = 'CA'

AND destcity = 'COLUMBUS'

AND created_time >= '2017-1-3'

AND created_time <= '2017-1-4'

GROUP BY origcity

ORDER BY SUM(order_interliner.functional_amt) desc

• ross_cunningham813 - Friday, May 19, 2017 11:45 AM

I am looking to output approximately 100 tables to excel with the following code.
    One for work each day from Jan. 1st to now to investigate trends.

I am somewhat familiar with looping in other languages, but I am unsure how I would accomplish this in SQL and save + export each of these so I can summarize and aggregate the data later in excel.
    Is there a faster way than manually changing the date range to a day later, executing and saving the grid 100 times?

SELECTtlorder.origcity AS "Destination", COUNT(*) AS "Number ofOrders", SUM(total_charges) AS "Customer Bill",SUM(order_interliner.functional_amt) AS "Total Partner Costs"

FROM tlorder

JOIN order_interliner ON tlorder.detail_line_id = order_interliner.detail_line_id

WHERE origcountry = 'CA'

AND created_time >= '2017-1-3'

GROUP BY origcity

Why don't you export the whole 100 days at once and then work with a single set in Excel? Why do you need the additional steps?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Is there a way to query multiple (100) tables at once?
    I thought about doing that, but I need all the information separated as it needs to be analyzed day to day, week to week, month to month.

EDIT: Realized that I could just get all the information like you said, sort by date entered and then manipulate it in excel. Originally I had it grouped so it would have been totally worthless all together in a huge table for the entire time period, but then I figured I can just ungroup it and leave each row separated.
    Thanks! It's not a fully automated process, but way easier than manually exporting that many!!

• Can you give more detail about how you're using Excel to access the data?
    Are you looking for separate Excel files for each range? Or one file, with separate worksheets?
    Or can you use an Excel Pivot Table to pull in from a SQL view?

• You can do something like this:

SELECT CAST( created_time AS date) AS "created time",
      tlorder.origcity AS "Destination",
      COUNT(*) AS "Number ofOrders",
      SUM(total_charges) AS "Customer Bill",
      SUM(order_interliner.functional_amt) AS "Total Partner Costs"
    FROM tlorder
    WHERE origcountry = 'CA'
    AND created_time >= '2016-1-3'
    GROUP BY origcity, CAST( created_time AS date)

You don't need the CAST if the column type is date instead of datetime.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply