loop through folder and delete txt files

• Hi,

I have a for each loop container that results a variable 'USER::Path' which holds a server path (\\serverA\folder1\folder2). So for each iteration the value of the 'USER::Path' changes, meaning for each iteration, variable gets a new server path .

My question is how do I delete text files in those folders.

thank you...

• I have vb script to do the above task but I get the following errors

Public Sub Main()

Dim Path As String

Dim FSO

Path = CStr(Dts.Variables("User::Path").Value)

FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

FSO.DeleteFile(Path & "Denials_*.txt")

FSO = Nothing

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success

End Sub

Error:Option Strict On requires all variable declarations to have an 'As' clause. Line Text: Dim FSO

Error : Option Strict On disallows late binding. FSO.DeleteFile(Path & "Denials_*.txt")

Any help will be appreciated

• FSO needs a datatype in the Dim statement ...

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• what should be the datatype...

• If you want to delete every text file in the folder you can:

Insert another foreach loop container inside of the one you have now

Set your "Enumerator" = Foreach File Enumerator

Open the expressions editor and set the "directory" property to your variable being filled by the previous loop.

Set the "Files" Textbox in the Enumeration Configuration to "*.txt"

add a variable with a name like "varFileToDel"

Set the variable mapping in the new "Foreach Loop Container" to varFileToDel

Add a File System Task to the Foreach Loop Container

Set Operation to Delete File

Set "Is source path variable" = True

Set "Source Variable" = varFileToDel

• Actually, make sure you've got an

Imports System.IO

and then you should be able to

File.Delete(filespec)

without the need for the FSO.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks,I followed the steps in your reply, but I get following error

Validation error. File System Task File System Task: Variable "VarFileDel" is used as a source or destination and is empty.

any idea..

• right click on the filesystems task and set the property "delay validation" = true

• Hey Thanks for that, Now I do not see any errors, but when I execute the package the files wont get deleted.

I left the folder field in the enumerator configuration of For Each loop container empy.

i get following warning..

Validation warning. Foreach Loop Container : The path is empty.

coluld this be the reason for not deleting the files. If yes please let me know what should be there in that field.

I put a brkpoint on for each loop container to check to see if vardelfile variable is receiving any variable, it is not receiving any value in any iteration.

Please let me know if there anything I can do to make it work..

Thanks....

• Everything that I gave you is based off of your first foreach loop,

put in a breakpoint and see if the mapped variable in the first loop is being filled

• I left the folder field in the enumerator configuration of For Each loop container empy.

It is okay for this to be empty, by setting the directory property with the variable from your first foreach loop container, you are filling this value.

• yes, all the variables are being populated except vardelfile.

• I left the folder field in the enumerator configuration of For Each loop container empy.

It is okay for this to be empty, by setting the directory property with the variable from your first foreach loop container, you are filling this value.

• My understanding is that your user variable "Path" is being filled with a value like: "\\serverA\folder1\folder2"

and your user variable "Path" is the variable being used in the second foreach loop as an expression for the property "Directory".

The second for each loop is being mapped to varFileDel and should be seeing values

like "\\serverA\folder1\folder2\SomeFile.txt"

This is all correct right?

• yes thats correct

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply