Looking to 2014

• One area of movement will be the accelerated movement to SSDs. They are dropping in cost rapidly and I think we'll start seeing them in more and more systems from SANs to consumer laptops. I also think that on line learning will continue to change the face of education. It's becoming easy to take and get credit for on line classes now. Just check out Coursera for tons of examples.

Finally I think this will be a watershed year for the Cloud/Security. I think there will be some pull back from the cloud hype as business/people find out their data was copied/stolen from them without them ever knowing. Some cloud provider employee will leak that someone copied x number of systems from <provider>. The <provider> will have kept it secret. BIG FALLOUT ala Target. (This is my John Dvorak prediction). 🙂

J

• John Hanrahan (1/6/2014)

One area of movement will be the accelerated movement to SSDs. They are dropping in cost rapidly and I think we'll start seeing them in more and more systems from SANs to consumer laptops. I also think that on line learning will continue to change the face of education. It's becoming easy to take and get credit for on line classes now. Just check out Coursera for tons of examples.

Finally I think this will be a watershed year for the Cloud/Security. I think there will be some pull back from the cloud hype as business/people find out their data was copied/stolen from them without them ever knowing. Some cloud provider employee will leak that someone copied x number of systems from <provider>. The <provider> will have kept it secret. BIG FALLOUT ala Target. (This is my John Dvorak prediction). 🙂

J

On SSDs, everyone needs to keep in mind that there are severe limits on how long SSDs can be written to. With RAID, you can accomodate the risks, but you need to be aware of them.

As far as security goes, I doubt any real progress will be made. SANS had an article about how senators are pushing to go to embedded chips in CCs, now that the Target breach has come up. Really? How is using a chip going to prevent someone from HACKING INTO THEIR DATABASE!!! We really elect these people?

Dave

• John Hanrahan (1/6/2014)

Finally I think this will be a watershed year for the Cloud/Security.

J

I hope so

• djackson 22568 (1/6/2014)

We really elect these people?

It's not even elected people, but people in our own business. I have a demo showing how SQL Injection bypasses encryption in my talk. It's amazing how many technical people don't get the severe issues we have with SQL Injection.

• One area of movement will be the accelerated movement to SSDs. They are dropping in cost rapidly and I think we'll start seeing them in more and more systems from SANs to consumer laptops. I also think that on line learning will continue to change the face of education.

We just took delivery of a new SAN 3rd quarter last year. In about a month we are going to be adding a ton more of SSD to it.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/6/2014)

djackson 22568 (1/6/2014)

We really elect these people?

It's not even elected people, but people in our own business. I have a demo showing how SQL Injection bypasses encryption in my talk. It's amazing how many technical people don't get the severe issues we have with SQL Injection.

I guess that shows maybe I am not being completely fair.

However, I believe most elected officials don't give two cents about fixing anything unless a corporation pays them to think so. If a 12-year old girl downloads a song, she gets fined hundreds of thousands of dollars. If a company willing allows someone to download all of our credit card numbers, nothing happens. For HIPAA a government official was quoted recently saying that they are going to start enforicing things more in 2014. Previously less than 5% of breeches resulted in any fine or penalty.

If we truly want to "fix" security, we need to spend money on training employees, and stop believing every marketing claim made about how some rain cloud is going to save us money and prevent breeches so well that attempts to hack anyone they host will result in swarms of Homeland Security agents knocking down doors in less than 5-minutes! OK, OK, maybe that claim is a bit father fetched than I have seen, but not by much.

Dave

• Markus (1/6/2014)

One area of movement will be the accelerated movement to SSDs. They are dropping in cost rapidly and I think we'll start seeing them in more and more systems from SANs to consumer laptops. I also think that on line learning will continue to change the face of education.

We just took delivery of a new SAN 3rd quarter last year. In about a month we are going to be adding a ton more of SSD to it.

How large are each of the drives? It would be interesting to see how often you have to replace them. For each drive, each cell can be written to a limited number of times. Technically a 240GB drive will last twice as long as a 120GB drive as it has twice the number of cells.

SAN SSDs are hopefully of better quality, and hopefully the SAN manages storage well enough to prevent all of the drives from failing around the same time frame,

Dave

Markus (1/6/2014)

One area of movement will be the accelerated movement to SSDs. They are dropping in cost rapidly and I think we'll start seeing them in more and more systems from SANs to consumer laptops. I also think that on line learning will continue to change the face of education.

How large are each of the drives? It would be interesting to see how often you have to replace them. For each drive, each cell can be written to a limited number of times. Technically a 240GB drive will last twice as long as a 120GB drive as it has twice the number of cells.

SAN SSDs are hopefully of better quality, and hopefully the SAN manages storage well enough to prevent all of the drives from failing around the same time frame,

size of the drives... don't remember.... it is a tiered SAN.... spinning drives, SSD and then flash cache.... it uses an algorithim that figures out which stage of storage to cache the data... the higher the usage the higher up the chain it goes. Everything is stored on the spinning drives... it just pushes more frequently used data up the chain for faster access.

• Markus (1/6/2014)

Markus (1/6/2014)

size of the drives... don't remember.... it is a tiered SAN.... spinning drives, SSD and then flash cache.... it uses an algorithim that figures out which stage of storage to cache the data... the higher the usage the higher up the chain it goes. Everything is stored on the spinning drives... it just pushes more frequently used data up the chain for faster access.

Interesting. It sounds like the SSDs are used for performance, while the typical drives are used to ensure stability. If my understanding is correct, failure of the SSDs would result in performance hits, not loss of data. That is, IMO, a great design. Has to be expensive!

Dave

Markus (1/6/2014)

Markus (1/6/2014)

Interesting. It sounds like the SSDs are used for performance, while the typical drives are used to ensure stability. If my understanding is correct, failure of the SSDs would result in performance hits, not loss of data. That is, IMO, a great design. Has to be expensive!

Yes, it is for performance reasons. Well... in thruth the vendor assessed our system and said we would need X amount of SSDs and X amount of flash cache for our SAN migration and greatly underestimated what we would need. So, we are in the process of getting much more of that at a very good discount.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply