Looking for a data compare/copy product

• We have built an alpha testing database server that will be a copy of our production server. I am looking for a product that will allow me to implement structure changes and and update data from the live server nightly in an automated manner. We have tried one product from a vendor that we have used before, but we are experiencing issues with the scrips that it generates. While we continue to work with that vendor to resolve the scripting issues, I would like to know what other products are out there that may be able to do the same thing. Let me know what works.

Thank you.

• Red-Gate SQL Data Compare[/url]

and

Red-Gate SQL Compare[/url]

They work magic! 😀

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • SQL Server 2008 Replication

If you're looking to upgrade, it comes free with SQL Server 2008.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Visual Studio 2010 has built-in Data and Schema Compare tools:

Data: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa833428.aspx

Schema: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa833435.aspx

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• In general, except for data, most of the time the flow of structural changes is not from production down to a dev or test environment, but the other way, from the dev or test environment up to production.

While I agree that I think you're describing what Red Gate tools do extremely well (disclosure, my employer), why are you just using a backup and restore?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (5/18/2011)

In general, except for data, most of the time the flow of structural changes is not from production down to a dev or test environment, but the other way, from the dev or test environment up to production.

Unless you're working somewhere that has no change control, no source control for SQL and sysadmin rights for everyone...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/18/2011)

Grant Fritchey (5/18/2011)

In general, except for data, most of the time the flow of structural changes is not from production down to a dev or test environment, but the other way, from the dev or test environment up to production.

Unless you're working somewhere that has no change control, no source control for SQL and sysadmin rights for everyone...

And those places are hard to find. :hehe:

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • GilaMonster (5/18/2011)

Grant Fritchey (5/18/2011)

I only made 9 months at the last job that worked like that.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Only VS2010 premium and ultimate have this ability, we are running professional.

• We have been working with the Red Gate Data compare product for several weeks now and is the product that we are having issues with. We are currently working with Red Gate on these issues, but so far have not had much luck with that product. I did not add their name in the original post as we have used several of their other products in the past and been very happy with them.

• Robert Pepin (5/18/2011)

We have been working with the Red Gate Data compare product for several weeks now and is the product that we are having issues with. We are currently working with Red Gate on these issues, but so far have not had much luck with that product. I did not add their name in the original post as we have used several of their other products in the past and been very happy with them.

Embarcadero and ApexSQL offer alternatives to the schema/data comparison Red Gate products you are having problems with. You should be able to get free eval copies of each to see if they will address whatever problems you are having.

I hope you are a) on the latest RedGate version and b) continue work with them to help them improve the product

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Robert Pepin (5/18/2011)

We have been working with the Red Gate Data compare product for several weeks now and is the product that we are having issues with. We are currently working with Red Gate on these issues, but so far have not had much luck with that product. I did not add their name in the original post as we have used several of their other products in the past and been very happy with them.

Our guys usually dive in really well and address issues, but if for some reason you're not getting responses (although, you will), let me know and I'll see if I can help from my end. No guarantees to fixing whatever the problem might be, but they'll try.

• Keep it old school and use tablediff.exe that comes with SQL Server.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply