Looking for a CMDEXEC Expert or Powershell Expert

• First this goal it to write a backup to local disk and then run a command to send the file to the TSM Server.

This is the command I use at a Command Prompt to do an TSM incremental backup.

Command for an incremental backup of drive letter h:

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmc incremental h:

Command for an incremental backup of a mount point:

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmc incremental -domain="E:\Backup"

I would like to be able to run this as the last step in my backup processes. This would allow me to send my local backup file to the TSM server to write to tape.

I am looking for either a CMDEXEC Expert that could show me the syntax to run these commands via a direct command or a batch job. The other option would be to run these commands via the Powershell type.

Also, I am open to an other solutions to meet the goal stated if someone has another idea.

• I'm not a PoSh expert, but here are a few things.

First, are you moving the file or just calling the TSM to back up the file where it is?

Second, does TSM have a PoSh provider? I don't see one with a few searches, and it's been ages since I interacted with this.

Third, here's a short article on running PoSh to call executables: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7703.powershell-running-executables.aspx You can adapt it, but don't forget that however you schedule this (Agent, Scheduled Tasks, etc), that the context being used there will matter for pathing, rights, etc. I'd set up a new domain account for this, or potentially give SQL Agent rights, to call the process.

• Thanks for the information.

I am not to worried about TSM support as much as getting the syntax correct for running the command.

• Thanks again and this is the command syntax that worked:

--Powershell TSM Incremental Command

cd -Path "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient"

$CMD = '.\dsmc.exe'

$arg1 = 'incremental'

$arg2 = '-domain="E:\Backup"'

& $CMD $arg1 $arg2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply