LogShipping: last_backup_file, last_backup_date stays NULL

• Hi There,

I have logshipping setup for a SQL Server 2008R2 x64 Ent. Ed. database using the secondary instance as monitor server. The restore of the database on the secondary server is done with the gui in SSMS. I don't have any issues with logshipping, the log is backed up, copied over to the secondary and restored. All jobs are running fine, I verified the log backup files and all are present like it's set up.

However, the last_backup_file, last_backup_date and last_backup_date_utc columns in log_shipping_monitor_primary table are all 'Null'. I checked the log_shipping_monitor_secondary table and it shows the correct and updated information for last_copied_* and last_restored_* columns. So the report is given an alert for the backup process on the primary server.

I tried running sp_refresh_log_shipping_monitor with @agent_type=0 on primary with @mode as both 1 & 2 but it did not help.

I deleted the logshipping and set it up again from scratch but the same issue remains.

The last_backup_file, last_backup_date and last_backup_date_utc records aren't filled, the stay empty (NULL).

Does anyone has any idea on how to resolve this?

I don't know where to look at...

Thanks!

• You're misinterpreting the data in the tables. Whether the monitor server is on the primary or secondary instance it makes no difference.

The table msdb.dbo.log_shipping_monitor_primary on the Primary instance will only have relative information for the Primary.

The table msdb.dbo.log_shipping_monitor_secondary on the Secondary instance will only have relative information for the Secondary.

Why, you ask, are there tables there on both instances though?

What happens when you perform a Log Shipping role switch, the information reverses 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (10/8/2014)

You're misinterpreting the data in the tables. Whether the monitor server is on the primary or secondary instance it makes no difference.

The table msdb.dbo.log_shipping_monitor_primary on the Primary instance will only have relative information for the Primary.

The table msdb.dbo.log_shipping_monitor_secondary on the Secondary instance will only have relative information for the Secondary.

Why, you ask, are there tables there on both instances though?

What happens when you perform a Log Shipping role switch, the information reverses 😉

My question is: Why isn't the table msdb.dbo.log_shipping_monitor_primary on the Primary instance filled in with values for the Primary (last_backup_file, last_backup_date columns)

• Can you confirm the sql server patch level please

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• It's version: 10.50.4266.0

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply