logshipping db readonly mode

• chk2009 (11/20/2009)

george sibbald (11/20/2009)

you will be fine if you if you:

run sp_help_revlogin against primary server and save output to file

copy file to secondary and load into SSMS query window

edit to remove those logins you do NOT want to replace on secondary (e.g. builtin\admins, service accounts)

drop the users logins from secondary

run the sp_help_revlogin output

this will tie the logins on the secondary to the userids in the database and therefore logon should be successful

Still SID is different for 2 logins....how to map SID?

within the user database run exec sp_change_users_login 'report'

any rows returned map those users to login with

exec sp_change_users_login 'update_one','username in database','login to map it to'

this is an update though so you can only do it if you bring the database online which you dont want to do until you failover. You shouldn't need to test connectivity until you do a full failover test, app is not likely to work anyway with database read_only,.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (11/20/2009)

chk2009 (11/20/2009)

george sibbald (11/20/2009)

you will be fine if you if you:

run sp_help_revlogin against primary server and save output to file

copy file to secondary and load into SSMS query window

edit to remove those logins you do NOT want to replace on secondary (e.g. builtin\admins, service accounts)

drop the users logins from secondary

run the sp_help_revlogin output

this will tie the logins on the secondary to the userids in the database and therefore logon should be successful

Still SID is different for 2 logins....how to map SID?

within the user database run exec sp_change_users_login 'report'

any rows returned map those users to login with

exec sp_change_users_login 'update_one','username in database','login to map it to'

this is an update though so you can only do it if you bring the database online which you dont want to do until you failover. You shouldn't need to test connectivity until you do a full failover test, app is not likely to work anyway with database read_only,.

I did't get you...

Now i disabled logshipping...db's are recovery mode..Now i just want to make sure secondary server should be same as primary..I tested routing application to use secondary ...but throwung error login failed cannot connect to database

I have removed all logins in secondary server and ran sp_help_revlogin output(primay server) in secondary server. then why my appln is not working for secondary server??

Why SID is different for 2 logins?

• application won't be able to connect if databases are in recovery mode.

you still haven't posted the actual error you are getting.

• chk2009 (11/20/2009)

Now i disabled logshipping...db's are recovery mode..Now i just want to make sure secondary server should be same as primary..I tested routing application to use secondary ...but throwung error login failed cannot connect to database

I have removed all logins in secondary server and ran sp_help_revlogin output(primay server) in secondary server. then why my appln is not working for secondary server??

Why SID is different for 2 logins?

Your Database is in recovery mode, so bring to normal mode.

Use this script

RESTORE DATABASE database_name WITH RECOVERY

Once this command is run,you should be able to you see the Database objects in your secondary database and then try the application to connect to the secondary database

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Thanks to everyone. Finally I have tested DR test in test servers, it was successfull. I did below things. Before doing in production, I want to check with you people whether I am in right direction.

1.Setup logshipping between servers

2.Restore last log (tail tlog) with recovery in secondary server

3.Route the application users to connect to secondary server.

It worked , but I have a question here,

restoring secondary databases with recovery and route the users—with in this time users will do some transactions in primary server, because primary databases are also in recovery mode(accessible). So I believe primary and secondary are not in same state, how to avoid this??

• It worked , but I have a question here,

restoring secondary databases with recovery and route the users—with in this time users will do some transactions in primary server, because primary databases are also in recovery mode(accessible). So I believe primary and secondary are not in same state, how to avoid this??

In a DR test its vital that the database on the primary be quiesced, so before the tail log on the primary is taken stop the application\kill users, whatever it takes. Once there are no connections take the tail log backup, the primary database will then be inaccessible anyway.

• sorry mixing up my threads here.

did you backup the log on the primary with the norecovery option? In that case the database will be in a restoring state and inaccessible anyway to further updates.

If you are just doing a normal log backup before failover, offline the primary database once all users are off

• george sibbald (12/2/2009)

sorry mixing up my threads here.

did you backup the log on the primary with the norecovery option? In that case the database will be in a restoring state and inaccessible anyway to further updates.

If you are just doing a normal log backup before failover, offline the primary database once all users are off

Great, this is the exact answer i needed, you are awesome 🙂

A big thank to you

• kareem007 (12/2/2009)

george sibbald (12/2/2009)

sorry mixing up my threads here.

Great, this is the exact answer i needed, you are awesome 🙂

A big thank to you

Hi George sibbald,

Next week we have shedule cutover for moving prod server to another datacenter.

Sofar I did below tasks in DR server(next week this should be production server)

1. Transfer logins and permissions.

2 Tested user connections (disabled logshipping and had set db;s in recovery state)

3 set up logshipping between Prod and DR server.

Next week cut over.

1. stop/kill appln users connect to prod server.

2. take tail backup putting prod databases in norecovery state.

3. apply tail backup in DR server with recovery.

4. allow connections

Please let me know if I am wrong.

And one more do i need to restore system databases in DR server?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply