Login failed for user '(null)'

• Hi,

I have had successfully set up a couple of transactional replications on our server to publish to a webhost(both SQL 2000). Recently the webserver had a disk array issue and now was replaced by a new machine. The same configuration as the current server was set up (Server 2003 R2 / SQL 2K) and I was able to connect to the new instance through Enterprise manager. Mixed authentication mode is set up as was on the old server, I can log in as sa and set up an admin user account for myself. this is what I did back when I set up the replication on the old server:

* added the new server registration as new subscriber

* added a new subscription on the publisher to publish to the new subscriber.

* after generating a new snapshot the distribution agent stopped with error message Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

I can recall I had a similar issue when I first did this 5 years ago, but I have no recollection how I resolved it at the time. The new server is registered with a DNS name, the new one is referred by IP address, I can recall that there was an issue with this back when I first did this, but don't recall if this was the problem back then

I tried both - register as user 'sa' with SQL authentication and with windows authentication - error message is the same.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Kai

• I should add now that I was able to start the distribution agent using SQL authentication on the 'SA' account, but I would like to change the login mode on the server to 'Windows only'

So I guess it is a matter of insufficient rights on the Win account that I am using to log into the server. I have set myself up as windows user with my profile on the server, but that server does not belong to our domain. Does it have join the domain to trust the win user?

Kai

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply