Log Shipping

• Hi Gurus,

I have a small doubt about the Log shipping on SQL Server 2005 EE (SP3) as below:-

Currently my Production Server is having a DB of around 200GB of Size and i wanna setup the Log shipping for this DB.

My current Backup Plan was to take Full Backup every Weekend and Daily Differential Backups happen.

Now if i configure Log shipping for this Server will that affect my Backup Plan???

Second after setting up the Log shipping will taking the Full DB backup will affect the Tlog Backups and restore??

Please do let me know.

Kindest Regards,

Jeetendra

• Jeetendra (5/15/2009)

Hi Gurus,

I have a small doubt about the Log shipping on SQL Server 2005 EE (SP3) as below:-

Currently my Production Server is having a DB of around 200GB of Size and i wanna setup the Log shipping for this DB.

My current Backup Plan was to take Full Backup every Weekend and Daily Differential Backups happen.

Now if i configure Log shipping for this Server will that affect my Backup Plan???

Second after setting up the Log shipping will taking the Full DB backup will affect the Tlog Backups and restore??

Please do let me know.

1. It wont effect your backup plan (but you can forget about the differential backup, depending on the requirements)

2. Sure not. Full backup saves the TLOG, but doesn't truncate.

• It will act as normal. Backing up your database (Full) doesn't truncate the log. To restore your production, you would grab your latest full backup and TL backups that occurred AFTER in the log shipping process.

• It won't effect your backup plan, but make sure that LSBackup job which should not conflict with the other backup plans at a time.

As they said is correct.

Full backup will not be effected. As working on this, i have never seen the failure in log restoration after a full backup. everything is working fine for me.

~ CH&HU.

Cheers,
    - Win
    "Dont Judge a Book by its Cover"

• Hello Jeetendra,

Your Current Backup Plan is good i.e. Full backup weekly and Diff. Backup Daily considering 200 GB Database.

Now your Log shipping will not affect your Backup Plan.

Second, after setting Log shipping taking Full backup on Source will not affect your Tlog backup.

Hence, you can go ahead an setup the log shipping without any hesitation.

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• I disagree with everyone. This will affect your backup. Because I don't see anywhere in your plan where you're backing up the transaction log.

Unless Log Shipping has seriously changed, you can't do it off just a FULL Backup. You need a regular transaction log backup in order to make Log Shipping work. So if you don't have the TLog backups scheduled and enabled, you'll need to alter your backup plan accordingly to account for this.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• By the By, your restore plan for the main server (assuming you use FULL, Differential & Transaction Log backups) will need to be as follows:

Restore the most recent FULL, restore the most recent Differential and restore ALL transaction logs following the last differential restore up to the point where you need to stop.

If you just do a FULL & TLog backup, then remove the Differential part of that process.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Hi Brandie,

Thanks for the suggestion....!!!!!!!!!

My question was that if suppose i have to configure the Log Shipping and have taken the full backup on Friday Evening and send it across to the DR site for the Restoration on the Secondary Server.

This will take around 2-3 days to happen.

In the mean while If i take the Full Backup again Or Differential Backup will that affect setting up the Log shipping.

Also please note that i m taking the Transaction Log backup's of the Production database every 1 hour.

Please let me know.

Kindest Regards,

Jeetendra

• Taking FULL backups of your main server should not interupt the log shipping process. So long as you continue to restore the logs to the LS server *in order*. EDIT And don't forget the transaction logs MUST be from the moment of the first FULL backup on. End Edit

If you change the recovery mode of the main server or break the backup chain by skipping a transaction log, all bets are off and you'll have to reconfigure Log Shipping. But I've never known the log ship service to "break" due to regular FULL backups of the main server. Or even Differential backups, truth be told.

Though, since I don't use Differential backups regularly, I'll have to defer that part to someone with more experience on that matter.

Does that help?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply