Log File Removed - can't attach/detach!

• Hello,

I ahve a client who is running on SQL Srvr 2000 and was loading a lot of data through the client app. During the load process, he got an ODBC erro and founf that he had run out of disk space on the server.

He went to detach the database and got an error "Write Error: Detach unsuccessful"

Did a refresh in EM and that database was not showing any longer, so he assumed that it did detach even though it said otherwise.

He deleted the Log file for that database.

Now he is in a catch 22 situation where the database does not show, and he can not attach/detach it. Is there a way to change the state of this database so we can attach and have the log file generated?

Thanks

• Does the database still exists in the sysdatabases table of the master database ?

If yes you can configure the server to allow direct updates and system tables and when remove the entry for the missing database.

Good luck M

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Hello M,

Is what you are saying, I should be able to delete the record out of sysdatabases in master that refers to this database we are having a problem attaching? After the delete we should be able to attach?

Dan

• If you have missed the log, try using

DBCC Rebuild_log (Db_name)

• Rebuild_Log did not work...

Right now when trying to Attach the error he gets is:

Could not open new database 'RSM'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. Device activation error. The physical file name '...RSM_Log.LDF'may be incorrect.

In trying this attach, he moved the MDF to another server, so he could try a clean attach without a log file, and have it generated automatically.

Any other ideas on getting this DB up and running?

Thanks,

Dan

• It's over now...

He decided to restore from backup and everything is up and running.

Would have been nice to know how to fix it though...

Thanks for the responses anyway,

Dan

• Have you tried use sp_attach_single_file_db?

• No, was not aware of it. I will save that info for the next time someone has this problem.

Thanks,

Dan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply